February 8, 2016

Mailbox Monday


I'm trying not to bring anymore ARCs home from work. No, really. But this one caught my eye and I do so love a good thriller. I think I read about this on another blog a week or two ago, but I can't remember where that was.

by Holly Seddon
On Sale 2.16.16

For fans of Gillian Flynn, Laura Lippman, and Paula Hawkins comes Holly Seddon's arresting fiction debut--an engrossing thriller full of page-turning twists and turns, richly imagined characters, and gripping psychological suspense.

Some secrets never die. They're just locked away.

Alex Dale is lost. Destructive habits have cost her a marriage and a journalism career. All she has left is her routine: a morning run until her body aches, then a few hours of forgettable work before the past grabs hold and drags her down. Every day is treading water, every night is drowning. Until Alex discovers Amy Stevenson. Amy Stevenson, who was just another girl from a nearby town until the day she was found after a merciless assault. Amy Stevenson, who has been in a coma for fifteen years, forgotten to the world. Who, unbeknownst to her doctors, remains locked inside her body, conscious but paralyzed, reliving the past.

Soon Alex's routine includes visiting hours at the hospital, then interviews with the original suspects in the attack. But what starts as a reporter's story becomes a personal obsession. How do you solve a crime when the only witness lived, but cannot tell the tale? Unable to tear herself away from uncovering the unspeakable truth, Alex realizes she's not just chasing a story--she's seeking salvation.

Shifting from present to past and back again, Try Not to Breathe unfolds layer by layer until its heart-stopping conclusion. The result is an utterly immersive, unforgettable debut.


What do you think? Does this sound good to you? I may have to read this one sooner than later!



Click on the title for more information.
 
Find more Mailbox Monday posts here

20 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, doesn't it, Megan? I'll keep you posted!

      Delete
  2. Yes, that definitely sounds good to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I do love a good thriller and I'm hoping this one is even better than Gone Girl or The Girl on the Train.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Oh, that's so good to know, Patty! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like it'll catch a lot of people's attention--especially when billed for fans of Gillian Flynn and Paula Hawkins. Does work encourage you to read ARCs so that you can handsell?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trish, the cover also has a little blurb from Tess Gerritsen that caught my eye. "A razor-sharp, fast-paced plot and wonderfully complex characters..." Sounds like my kind of book!

      As far as the ARCs at work, we are welcome to take any that we want (we get them from the publishers on a daily basis), but there is no pressure to read them in order to handsell the latest and greatest. We have a bookcase in our breakroom for all the ARCs that haven't been claimed and it's surprising to see how many accumulate after a few weeks. I try not to be too greedy and often times, I'll return the ARC once I'm finished unless I think my husband or mom might want to read it (or I want to keep it for a re-read). It's a pretty nice perk! I rarely ever buy books anymore.

      Delete
  5. Yep, I'll keep my out for this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's funny is I have the ARC, but I'll bet a lot of you read it before I do! :)

      Delete
  6. I don't read many thrillers but I have to say this sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a good thriller, but I can't read too many too close together or they all start to sound a like.

      Delete
  7. Sounds good...ENJOY!!

    Lovely blog.

    Have a great reading week.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Mailbox Monday

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard about this one too. There are a few different covers around for that one, I think. It sounds like one I'd like for sure. I like Paula Hawkins books - not so fond of the one Gillian Flynn that I read, but I need to read her other two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I noticed the different cover art, Kay. Wonder what the final copy will look like. I like the one I have with the bed sheet rather than the woman's face. I remember you talking about Paula Hawkins. She's one I'd like to try one of these days.

      Delete
  9. I bet it is so hard to resist ARCs! I think this one sounds great. I want to know if she uncovers what happened and if Amy recovers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's super hard to resist all the ARCs, Iliana. For a while, I told myself not to take any unless they were written by a favorite author. Of course, that rule didn't last. However, I try not to be too greedy, especially since I have some that are easily a decade old!

      Delete
  10. Oh, that does sound good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, it really does sound good, doesn't it? If I were so determined to read from my shelves (the books I had before 2016), I'd start it today!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!