April 28, 2016

Looking Back - I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings


Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.




I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
Nonfiction - Autobiography
1993 Bantam Books (First published in 1969)
Finished on March 15, 1996
Rating: 4/5 (Very Good)



 
Publisher's Blurb:

Sent by their mother to live with their devout, self-sufficient grandmother in a small Southern town, Maya and her brother, Bailey, endure the ache of abandonment and the prejudice of the local "powhitetrash." At eight years old and back at her mother’s side in St. Louis, Maya is attacked by a man many times her age—and has to live with the consequences for a lifetime. Years later, in San Francisco, Maya learns that love for herself, the kindness of others, her own strong spirit, and the ideas of great authors ("I met and fell in love with William Shakespeare") will allow her to be free instead of imprisoned.

Poetic and powerful, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings will touch hearts and change minds for as long as people read.

My Original Notes:

Very, very good! An enlightening autobiography. I'd like to read more of her works now. What a survivor. Glad I tried it again, as I couldn't get into it the first time.

My Current Thoughts:

Well, for a book that I claimed to be very, very good, I sure don't have any recollection of the subject matter. I no longer own it, so it must not have been something I wanted to read a second time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!