April 4, 2016

Tuesday's First Chapter, First Paragraph - Skating on the Sky


Each Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile By the Sea shares the first part of a book that she is reading or thinking about reading. Since April is National Poetry Month, I've decided to share a poem from Skating On the Sky (Claudia Walters Reinhardt), which I received from the author a few months ago. I'm really enjoying this collection of poems!




CARDINAL IN APRIL

Caught in the clutches of a flowering crab tree,
a cardinal flutters like a wild bandana torn from
the throat of a farmer climbing into the soundproof
cell of his tractor. The green machine rumbles
over ridges of moist soil, dripping chemicals
between earth's parted lips. Along the fence row,
the redbird sings as if just this morning
he remembered the tune
to the color of spring.

Note to local readers:

Saturday, April 9th at 2 pm
Barnes and Noble, SouthPointe Pavilions
Lincoln, Nebraska
402.421.7979

Celebrate the 20th anniversary of National Poetry Month with us as we welcome local poet Claudia Reinhardt to our store. Claudia will be reading selections from and signing her new book Skating on the Sky from 2:00 to 3:00PM. This book will make a great addition to your collection with each poem highlighted by inspiring quotations and beautiful color photographs taken by the author. 
 

Happy Tuesday, friends! Visit Bibliophile By the Sea for more introductions.

14 comments:

  1. Perfect for poetry month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Candace, I agree! It's a lovely collection of poems.

      Delete
  2. A lovely summer poem; thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I'm thoroughly enjoying this book of poetry. I finished it a few days ago and am now flipping though it, re-reading some that stood out. Glad you enjoyed this one.

      Delete
  3. I don't read enough poetry...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, I don't read enough poetry, either. This collection is definitely the type of poetry I enjoy, though. It makes sense! I also want to read some of Mary Oliver's. I know she's quite popular.

      Delete
  4. Oh, beautiful and lyrical lines! Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “FRICTION”


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the poem, Laurel-Rain Snow. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. What a lovely poem! Especially on this very spring-y day. :-) Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the poem, Wendy. Now to find another to share next week!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful poem. Thank you for sharing it. Love your header photo too.
    My Tuesday post features a mystery thriller: THE SHADOW CARTEL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, I'm glad you enjoyed the poem. I've just returned from perusing your blog and will make a point to return often. My dad and his wife lives in Kingston and my husband and I love to visit them and the beautiful PNW. Your photos of your walks make me eager to return to Seattle this summer. Thanks for your nice comment about my header photo. My mom and I took a river cruise through Austria, Germany and the Netherlands last fall. The photo is from Wertheim (and the Tauber river). I need to post more pictures from that amazing vacation...

      Delete
  7. The cardinal is my favorite bird to look for when I'm out walking. Lovely imagery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, I love cardinals, too. They always look so beautiful against the snow when they show up in the winter. Glad you enjoyed the poem I shared.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!