June 28, 2017

Heading West - Day Four



Day Four:

Twin Falls, Idaho to Pendleton, Oregon
350 miles
6.5 hours
Sunny

Click on photos for larger view.





Excellent coffee at the Lucky Perk in Meridian, Idaho.



We made it!







Heading toward Baker City with the Umatilla National Forest on the horizon.



Baker City, Oregon.



Found this great little cafe (Lone Pine Cafe) on Tripadvisor.



Hipster jukebox.



Probably the best carnitas I've ever tasted! The Rogue Dead Guy was pretty good, too.



Had to check out this independent bookstore. Only bought one book (If You Lived Here, I'd Know Your Name by Heather Lende), but I could have easily walked out with a lot more.



I-84 at Cabbage Hill. We had heard a lot about Deadman Pass, so we were prepared for the steep descent (6% downgrade for seven miles). It wasn't nearly as stressful as I'd anticipated, but I wouldn't want to drive it in the winter or at night!



Runaway truck ramp. Thankfully, the Silverado has an engine breaking switch, which I used quite a lot on this trip.



Another Tripadvisor find! Hamley's is a great restaurant that we'll definitely return to, if we're ever back in Pendleton.



Rod's dream bar!

4 comments:

  1. That's a lot of driving! We see those runaway truck lanes in Virginia when we visit Carl's family - thankfully I've never seen a truck in one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, we've learned that we're good for about 350-400 miles max. We stop a lot, but my right knee starts to ache if I drive too long (and I do most of the driving, by choice). Yeah, I don't know what I'd do if I saw a truck racing toward one of those runaway lanes. Scary!

      Delete
  2. I love that you guys still found neat places to visit as you were making your way across to get to your new home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, we really enjoyed our trip to Oregon. Lots of great restaurants and views, some of which we hope to return to when we start traveling with our trailer.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!