June 21, 2017

Heading West - Day One

As you probably all know, Rod and I have both retired and moved from Lincoln, Nebraska to Depoe Bay, Oregon. In the next few posts, I will share photos (and journal notes) of our journey west. Enjoy!



Day One:

Lincoln to Sidney, Nebraska
347 miles
6.25 hours (driving time)
Overcast to rain

After almost 25 years in Nebraska (and 17 years in our lovely home on Plymouth Avenue), we are fulfilling our dream to move to the Oregon coast. It's a bittersweet move, but we couldn't be more happy and excited!

The drive was pretty uneventful. It rained almost the entire time. We got used to traveling in tandem, me leading the way in our Chevy Silverado and Rod bringing up the rear in the hulking 20 foot UHaul truck. We used walkie-talkies to communicate with each other, which turned out to be a great idea since my cell phone coverage was pretty much non-existent (thanks, Sprint!).



First stop in York, Nebraska. We always ate at this dive when we were in York for Amy's soccer games. Haven't eaten there in at least 20 years, but every time we drive past York, we stop to take a photo to send to Amy. :)



Yep, this is Nebraska. Lots of open spaces and pretty flat.



More of the same. You can see for miles!



Keeping an eye on this guy, making sure he doesn't get lost!



Very green farmland. Lots of rain this spring.



And, of course, spring weather is always a bit unpredictable. Fortunately, the snow in Wyoming had stopped and the roads were open by morning. 



Relaxing at the end of a long day. 

11 comments:

  1. Nebraska's so flat and clean! I'm glad the day was uneventful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, not all of Nebraska is this flat. The Sandhills and parts of eastern Nebraska are quite hilly. Yes, I'm glad the day was uneventful, too!

      Delete
  2. I am SO happy you posted! Loved the details. What fun - the dive memory. I'm impressed with both your driving skills. I couldn't drive either one! I wonder what people do who are caught on those closed roads and they can't park on them. The midwest and west are so different from my little New England experience. Keep writing. And have you chosen a new name yet??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nan! I'm trying to get back in my groove of blogging, but oh my goodness, the days just fly by! I thought I'd be much lazier in retirement, but it hasn't happened yet!

      As far as the closed roads, there are barriers that are put up at the on-ramps to close the Interstate. I think if you're out there after they are closed, the State Troopers lead you off to safety. I don't think they strand people out there, especially since the plows are out trying to clear the roads.

      Nope, no new name yet. Possible Coastal Horizons or back to Lesley's Book Nook (with maybe something about traveling added).

      Delete
  3. So glad to see a post from you and looking forward to hearing more about your travels to your new home. So excited for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, thanks for your faithful comments! I'm hoping to return to reading blogs, in addition to posting. I feel so out of touch with my favorite bloggers! I hope all is well with you and that it isn't too miserable in TX this summer.

      Delete
  4. Very happy to see this post! We drove through western Nebraska on a road trip two summers ago, and all the wide open spaces are still vivid in my mind... almost overwhelming to this easterner! Looking forward to hearing about the rest of the trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda thomas8:16 PM

    I'm so excited for you too! Your new location is beyond lovely! What a treat! I'm calling you one day soon! Miss you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, you would love it here! Such a beautiful place to walk and listen to the birds. We definitely need to have a phone date soon! I miss you, too!

      Delete
  6. I adore my husband, but he will never leave Texas. So I'm quietly traveling with you on this journey. I am so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb. Maybe we'll get down your way once we start traveling in our trailer!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!