December 16, 2017

Chocolate-Covered Peanut Butter Balls

I've been making these treats on and off during the holidays for about 40 years! They're a family favorite and are a nice addition to a cookie plate to deliver to friends and neighbors. My husband doesn't understand why I only make them at Christmastime, though. He thinks it would be great to have a tin of these treats in the refrigerator year-round. I don't dare! They're too addictive and you really can't eat just one.


Chocolate-Covered Peanut Butter Balls

Ingredients

3 cups Rice Krispies
1 jar (2 cups) crunchy peanut butter
1 box powdered sugar
1 stick butter (melted)
1-8 oz. bar Hershey's plain chocolate
1-6 oz. pkg. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 bar Parowax

Directions

Mix peanut butter, powdered sugar, Rice Krispies and melted butter in a large mixing bowl.
Roll into 1-inch balls; place on baking sheet until ready to dip.
In a double-boiler, melt both chocolates and wax.
Dip balls in chocolate.
Place gently on wax paper to cool.

My Notes:

Parowax is used to keep the chocolate glossy and to keep the peanut butter balls firmer longer without a mess in your hands. Not that you'll need a lot of time to eat one!




I use a fork and spoon to dip the balls in the chocolate. I balance the ball on the fork and let the excess chocolate drip through the tines, using the spoon to scrap the bottom side of the fork to get the chocolate off before dropping them on the wax paper.

These can be frozen or stored in the refrigerator. They taste best when chilled!

Yield: 3 dozen


Please visit Beth Fish Reads for Weekend Cooking.
Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend.

10 comments:

  1. Putting wax in food is counter-intuitive, but I guess it's already in the ready-made chocolate coating that is available for candy-making. Chocolate and peanut butter: definitely a classic!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, it seems very odd to put the wax in with the chocolate, but you'd never know it was there.

      Delete
  2. Oh my, I bet those are hard to resist!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, they're in the refrigerator in the garage. I try to forgot they're there. They're for friends and neighbors, but I'm sure I'll keep a few. I still all the ingredients for a second batch, so maybe I'll make some for Valentine's Day for my hubby. :)

      Delete
  3. Someone I work with makes something similar, lots of peanut butter and chocolate, delicious! They bring them to holiday parties this time of year and are always gone in a heartbeat. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, these are the best, especially chilled. Thanks for stopping by with your comment!

      Delete
  4. These sound delicious. Unfortunately my husband doesn't like peanut butter but all I have to say is that would mean more for me! :) Thank you for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, you can always share with friends and neighbors. This recipe does make a lot. On second thought, just store them in the freezer for when you need a little something sweet. :)

      Delete
  5. I've made these for the holidays but we prefer the creamy peanut butter version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, our chunky peanut butter must not be very chunky since I don't really notice the nuts. Or, maybe the rice krispies over power the crunchiness. They are good, though, aren't they?

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!