February 23, 2018

Looking Back - Tell Me A Riddle



Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.

Tell Me A Riddle by Tillie Olsen
Fiction
1989 Delta (first published 1961)
Read in August 1997
Rating: 3/5 (Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

This collection of four stories, "I Stand Here Ironing," "Hey Sailor, what Ship?," "O Yes," and "Tell me a Riddle," had become an American classic. Since the title novella won the O. Henry Award in 1961, the stories have been anthologized over a hundred times, made into three films, translated into thirteen languages, and - most important - once read, they abide in the hearts of their readers.

My Original Notes (1997):

Four short stories. Social commentaries. Poor people, racial inequalities, elderly, etc. Quite good. I would enjoy hearing a professor's comments on each essay. Thought provoking.

My Current Thoughts:

I should look for this to reread, as I have no memory of any of these short stories.

6 comments:

  1. Didn't you take a class while you were in Nebraska? Something about prairie fiction or like that? I keep thinking I'd like to take an online course about mysteries - classic or otherwise. I should look for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay - Yes, I did take a class at UNL. It was called Great Plains Literature. That's where I first learned of Willa Cather! I think we may have read one of Tillie Olsen's essays in that class and is probably why I wound up with the book.

      I'll bet you can find some online classes for literature and mystery-type books through one of the universities. Go for it!

      Delete
  2. I love this series of yours because we hear about books that have fallen off our radars and maybe we should look for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, thank you so much for you kind words. I never know if these specific posts about books from the past are of any interest, but you are a faithful reader and always leave comments on them, so I appreciate your interest!

      Delete
  3. I read this book ages ago, too, and all I remember is a scene with someone ironing? I’ve thought about rereading it, so I really should just do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin - That's about all I remember about the book, too!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!