October 7, 2026

Wordless Wednesday (more or less) - Cape Blanco





Cape Blanco Lighthouse
Cape Blanco State Park, Oregon

This isolated lighthouse holds five Oregon records: it is the oldest continually operating light, the most westerly, it has the highest focal plane above the sea, (approx. 250 feet), James Langlois has an unmatched tenure at any other West Coast lighthouse (42 years) and Oregon’s first woman keeper, Mabel E. Bretherton signed on in March 1903. (Cape Blanco Heritage Society)

8 comments:

  1. Why is it that a lighthouse seems like a wonderful place for a reader to live? Is it the quiet? Is it the view? Is it the beautiful water? I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, it would be a great place to live. Quiet, beautiful views, etc. I suspect during a bad wind storm, it could be a bit unnerving, though.

      Delete
  2. How pretty to see it. And it's still operating to this day? 42 years is a pretty long career ... there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I believe so. No keeper, though. It's fully automated. Landlois was there from 1875–1918.

      Delete
    2. What an interesting era for him to have been there .... reminds me a bit of the lighthouse novel.

      Delete
    3. Susan, I always think of that novel when I visit a lighthouse.

      Delete
  3. Any one of those photos would look so good on our wall. Currently it's blank as we can't decide on a perfect photo we both agree on. That's so cool you and I both like the lighthouse photos and you have one on your wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, I'll take a photo of the lighthouse prints we have and email them to you. :)

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!