Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.
Katie Nash #3
Fiction
2002
Finished on June 30, 2002
Rating: 4/5 (Very Good)
Publisher's Blurb:
In this warm and engaging novel, New York Times bestselling author Elizabeth Berg revisits the heroine she so lovingly brought to life in Durable Goods and Joy School.
It is 1961, and thirteen-year-old Katie is facing a summer full of conflict. First, instead of letting her find her own work for the season, Katie's father has arranged for two less-than-ideal baby-sitting jobs. Worse, Katie has been forcibly inducted into the "loser" Girl Scout troop organized by her only friend Cynthia's controlling and clueless mother. A much-anticipated visit to her former home in Texas and ex-best friend Cherylanne proves disappointing. And then comes an act of betrayal that leaves Katie questioning her views on friendship, on her ability not to take those she loves for granted, and most important, on herself.
Full of the anguish and the joys of adolescence in a much more innocent time, True to Form is sure to make readers remember and reflect upon their own moments of discovery and self-definition.
My Original Thoughts (2002):
Touching. Took me a few chapters to get interested.
My Current Thoughts:
I still have the ARC of this novel. I re-read the first in the Katie Nash trilogy this past January, and plan to give both Joy School and True to Form a second reading, as well.

Good for you, keeping a book journal. I have no idea what I was reading in 2002 as I only started my blog in 2008 and joined GoodReads in the same year.
ReplyDeleteI do like books set in the 60s.
I'll be interested in seeing what you post from your journal--it may remind me of what I was also reading back then.
Jane, I've been sharing my reading journal entries for quite a few years. You can see what I read in 2002 here if you like. You can also click on the Looking Back tag/label at the bottom of this post to see some other reviews for previous years.
DeleteI am always impressed that you are logging all your old reads; its such a great record of your reading history.
ReplyDeleteHelen, it's definitely a work in progress! Especially since many months may pass before I remember that I want to continue with these posts. :)
DeleteI am often struck by how often books are stuck in the time and place they are written. Jokes don't work, technology is antiquated, cultural references fall flat, and things we know now seem to cloud the ability to look back. This book seems like it has the potential to not live up to time yet it also holds a universal story. How did it sit with you as you reflect on it's place in literature?
ReplyDelete