February 16, 2006

Broken Prey










Broken Prey by John Sandford
Mystery

Finished on 1/3/06
Rating: A (9/10 Terrific)

This is Sandford’s latest “Prey” thriller, but my first encounter with hero Lucas Davenport’s life. The book came highly recommended by Rod, so of course I decided to give it a try. I wasn’t disappointed and am rapidly becoming a huge fan. I’ve since read the first two in the series and plan to read the remaining fourteen.

Davenport is a very likeable cop (head of Minnesota’s Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, to be precise) in spite of his flaws. He’s kind of like Tony Soprano. Big, tough, macho guy with the heart of a teddy bear. Sort of. I can even ignore his womanizing. Mostly.

In this particular book, while the mystery is certainly entertaining, what really pulled me in was the cast of characters. I loved the bantering between Davenport and Sloan. I also enjoyed reading about Davenport’s attempt to come up with a list of rock’s 100 greatest songs (he got an I-pod). There’s even a list at the back of the book, which I plan to refer back to so I can see how many of my favorites made the cut. Forget about trying to figure out who the serial killer is. I want to know if “Brown-Eyed Girl” is on the list!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!