March 26, 2006

Tortuga











Tortuga by Rudolfo A. Anaya
Fiction
Quit on 3/23/06
Rating: DNF (Did Not Finish)

It’s been almost 10 years since I took a Great Plains Literature class at UNL where I was introduced to the lyrical writing of authors such as
Teresa Jordan, Willa Cather, and Rudolfo Anaya. I was intrigued by the mystical realism I encountered in Anaya’s first novel, Bless Me, Ultima and as a result, searched for more of his works to read at a later date. Didn’t think it would take me quite so long to pick one up, though! Unfortunately, Tortuga failed to capture my interest and I gave up after only 20 pages. Nothing about it appealed to me and I kept finding my attention wandering.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:39 PM

    Oh that's too bad to hear that. I loved Bless Me, Ultima (I haven't read anything else by him yet) but had high hopes. Oh well, I still hope to read something else by him sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Iliana - You must have my blog set up with bloglines or RSS feed. I posted this almost exactly a year ago. I'm in the process of adding labels to my older posts and forgot that some folks might get notified about the "published" entry. Oops! Anyhow, let me know if you ever read anything else by Anaya, as I loved Bless Me, Ultima, too.

    ReplyDelete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!