July 21, 2007

Where In The World Is Lesley? (Day Eleven)

Itinerary: Sidney to Brentwood Bay, British Columbia (Vancouver Island)
Cruising Time: Beats me!
Weather: Awoke to fog and drizzle. 60 degrees. Rain on and off all day and night.

After a quick trip to the market and Tanner's Bookstore for my copies of Harry Potter (blog entry forthcoming), we got under way around noon. Other than the occasional Bayliner wake, cruising was smooth and uneventful. We had a marvelous lunch at Seahorses Cafe. Definitely worth a return visit someday!

We had hoped to take the shore boat out after dinner to see the fireworks display over at Butchart Gardens, but the rain wouldn't let up, so we wound up watching from the boat. Surprisingly, the view wasn't too bad! And we stayed dry.




Goodbye, Port Sidney

Shipshape Kayak

Binnacle (and hat)

So where exactly are we supposed to be?


Can't have too many beacons. Especially in foggy weather!

This is one house?! (Notice the conservatory in the back. Simply lovely.)

Narrow passage!

This isn't too difficult.
(Disregard the clenched hand on the wheel.)


Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale,
A tale of a fateful trip,
That started from this tropic port
Aboard this tiny ship.


Hey, Rod! What do these handles do?

Marvelous little restaurant with fabulous crab cakes
and shrimp croissant sandwiches. Yum!


Perfect after a long day at the helm. ;)

`Nice? It's the ONLY thing,' said the Water Rat solemnly, as he leant forward for his stroke. `Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing,' he went on dreamily: `messing--about--in--boats; messing----'
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

Don't worry about me. I'm fine.
However, I don't know why anyone thought I should go for a walk.
I was perfectly fine in my nice warm boat. People!

Kiss the Cook Goes to Sea!

Yah, yah, yah. I know. Another leaf in the water.

Click on photo for full-size view.

10 comments:

  1. I love crabcakes! YUM! So, you're buying Harry Potter, eh? I can't wait to discuss it with you when you're done; us "take him or leave him" readers still get sucked into the drama, but really, I enjoyed finding out how it all ended.

    p.s. I like how you dress. All your pictures are so smashing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Les,
    The first picture you posted today (Goodbye, Port Sidney) is outstanding! One of your very best. It needs to be enlarged, framed and put up on the wall to keep this trip in mind all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Les- looks like you had a great summer vacation and your pictures are fabulous. Can't wait to swap stories with you guys soon.

    Cami

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:48 AM

    I've been enjoying your pics from vacation so much! I bet it's hard to have to come back home isn't it :)
    Have you settled back in?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I loved this post. Your whole vacation chronicle was fun and interesting and enhanced by all the wonderful photographs, especially those of the people. :<)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bellezza - Me, too! I've only attempted to make them once, and while they tasted good, I decided I needed to tweak the recipe a bit before posting it over on my food blog. Do you ever make them yourself?

    I actually bought a copy of Harry Potter while on the trip. Stay tuned for my blog entry about that.

    You're a sweetheart. Thanks for the comment about my fashion sense. I am quite the casual gal. Can't tell you the last time I wore high heels or nylons. I live in shorts, tees, Birks and my Land's End tennies/sandles. Unfortunately, when I do have to dress up, I'm quite clueless and feel terribly uncomfortable.

    Lee - Thank you!! It's certainly a favorite of mine. I like the idea of framing it, but as far as keeping this trip in mind at all time, I don't need anything to help with that! :)

    Cami - And you two look like you had a blast, too. It was fun seeing all your pictures and catching up with you. We've missed you guys!

    Iliana - Thank you. I'm actually having fun looking at the pics over and over again. Yes, it was difficult coming back home. Need to figure out a way to relocate to the PNW!! Settled back in? We'll we're working on it. At least I feel like I'm back in the same time zone. I'm such a traveling wimp. I can't imagine going some place on the other side of the world and trying to "settle back in again" afterward. I'd need a week just to recover.

    Nan - I had a feeling you'd enjoy all the pictures. It's been great fun creating these blog entries. Almost finished, though. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. High heels and nylons, what are those?! My feet cringe at the thought of anything but Birki's; I've stooped to an all time low this summer and worn nothing but. They are just too comfortable for these (still) post surgery feet. And in other fashion news? Not feeling too sexy with all the eating out we've been doing as the kitchen is finishing up its remodeling. I'm TRYING to be careful, but it's HARD! When I go back to school I'll be away from easy access to yummy things so I hope to lose a few. Of course, if you give me a crabcake recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bellezza - I love my Birks, but I've also become quite fond of my Land's End shoes. There's a photo of them in one of my earlier travel posts (maybe Day 3?).

    We're trying to get back into sensible eating, too. 2 weeks of traveling did a number on my healthy eating routine, although we did get out and walk quite a bit. Now it's so darned hot & humid here. Too hot to walk, that's for sure!

    Crab cake recipe to come soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the SmartCar! We toured Italy in a 2+2 version which means we had a back seat for extra luggage. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maggie - That's what I love about my Mini. Plenty of room in the back for luggage, car seats (my two nieces fit quite nicely!), etc. It is a bit of a rough ride over those rear wheels, however. Wonder how many airbags the Smart Car has. Mine has 7! What does that tell ya?!

    ReplyDelete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!