July 15, 2008

Paolo Nutini


Paolo Nutini
These Streets
2006

From Amazon.co.uk

19-year old Scottish singer/songwriter Paolo Nutini sounds older than his years on his debut album, These Streets. It's not just his careworn, smooth-as-sandpaper voice, either (although, admittedly, it does help). It's more to do with the maturity of the lyrics, and the casual soulfulness of his delivery. "Last Request" is more the work of a vintage Motown singer than a teenager from Paisley, and it's to Nutini's credit that he carries it off with aplomb. And rather like the soul singers of previous generations, he manages to sing without a hint of hypocrisy about his own sexual exploits ("Jenny Don't Be Hasty") while also questioning his girlfriend's fidelity ("Alloway Grove"). It's the fact that he's so frank, and even a little bit naive, that he manages to get away with it. And though the stripped-down tunes on These Streets don't always immediately grab the listener (the title track, in particular), the songs where Nutini is accompanied by a full band often manage to evoke sunny-day American soul ("New Shoes", for example). This is a strong debut, and considering Paolo Nutini's tender years, bigger things can be expected of him in the future. --Ted Kord

I first heard about These Streets over here and here on Nan's blog. Speaking about New Shoes, Nan says, "It's a lose-your-blues, dance-around-the-kitchen kind of song. Just wonderful." After listening to it and a few other songs on his MySpace site, I couldn't agree more. I rarely buy cds anymore, so I was very happy to receive it from my daughter on Mother's Day. It's definitely one to own! I've had it for just over two months and I can't tell you how many times I've listened to it. Maybe 3-4 times a week. I love each and every track.

As I commented on Nan's blog, I think Paolo sounds a bit like Martin Sexton and Peter Himmelman. He has a soulful voice that I just love. I hope he releases a new album before I wear out the one I own!

Thank you, Nan, for sharing yet another great artist with me. I love the world of blogging. I may never have learned of this talented young man, had it not been for your post.

10 comments:

  1. I heard about this one through my Sound Travels posts. Can't remember who it was that was listening to him, but I'm thinking I need to get a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teri - Click on the album name (These Streets) to go listen to all the tracks on Amazon. It's so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:02 PM

    I had completely forgotten about Peter Himmelman...I saw him play years ago at a local brewery. Our local independent radio station played Dixie the Tiny Dog so much, I think it had a cult following in our county. Thanks for reminding me of someone I forgot!

    I'll have to go listen to Paolo now (although his last name makes me think of Nutella).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will have to check this out -- I love being pointed toward new music.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard Last Request but didn't realize it until now! Thanks for mentioning him since I'm finally sitting up and taking notice. Great stuff. Listening on MySpace now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love "lose-your-blues, dance-around" music, but not in my kitchen. I hate my kitchen. How about the living room, instead? Do you listen to Jack Johnson at all? He's one of my newest "upper" finds. I put his music on in my mother's house and danced around her kitchen, a few months ago (her kitchen is nice). Then, I went back to my sister's and told Mom I'd danced around her kitchen, while I was taking a weekend break in her house. She said, "Good for you." I'm hanging onto that moment rather fiercely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. softdrink - I used to listen to a lot of Peter Himmelman, Greg Brown and Martin Sexton. Not so much anymore, but now I'm tempted to go dig those cds out again.

    Yep, I had the same name association with Nutella!

    Katya - Let me know what you think.

    Andi - Has his music been used on Grey's Anatomy (or House)? It sounds like that sort of music. I found some YouTube clips of Grey's with his music, but it looks like stuff a fan has put together.

    Nancy - Living room, laundry room, patio, it all works! :) I'll have to Google Jack Johnson and see if I've heard his stuff. I'm terrible with names. His sounds vaguely familiar...

    Nice memory of your mom. Hang tight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm very pleased you like it, Les! He really is wonderful. I posted about JJ here:

    http://lettersfromahillfarm.blogspot.com/2006/12/todays-cdon-and-on.html

    He is so, so good.

    Buying cds is most of my 'entertainment' expense. I spend a lot of time at iTunes. :<)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nancy - I've been listening to a lot of Jack Black these days!! I love his voice!

    Nan - See above note to Nancy/Bookfool. :) I agree with both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Re-reading these comments, I see I wrote "Jack Black." Meant to type Jack Johnson! Ooops. :)

    ReplyDelete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!