September 16, 2012

Linda's Greek Chicken Pasta


I got this delicious recipe from a good friend who just threw it all together on a whim one evening. It's become a favorite of Rod's and mine. Last summer my granddaughter helped me make it for dinner. It's quick and easy, and the leftovers make for a yummy lunch.



1 pkg. of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Greek Feta salad dressing
¼ cup of olive oil
3 minced cloves of garlic
½ each zucchini and yellow squash

2 tomatoes, chopped
8 oz. button mushrooms, sliced
1 Tbsp. Italian herbs
8 oz (half a box) of bowtie (Farfalle) pasta
Parmesan cheese
Feta cheese (I used Basil & Sundried Tomato Feta Cheese), cut into cubes or crumbled
Sliced black olives

Marinated artichoke hearts
Salt and pepper



Marinate chicken breasts in Greek Feta (or Italian) salad dressing for 20-30 minutes. Grill over medium-high heat for approximately 6 minutes per side. Remove chicken from grill, allowing it to rest for a few minutes before cutting into large chunks.


While the chicken is cooking, start the water for the pasta. Cook pasta according to the manufacturer’s directions.

Meanwhile, heat 1/4 cup olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add zucchini, squash and mushrooms and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of Italian herb seasonings. Cook until vegetables are just tender. Add tomatoes and diced feta cheese, but not until a few minutes before serving so they don’t overcook.



When the pasta is finished cooking, drain and add to the vegetables in the skillet. Add the cut-up chicken, sliced black olives, and artichoke hearts.

Season with salt and pepper, if desired.

Garnish with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and serve with crusty French bread.

The quantity of all the ingredients can be increased or decreased depending on how many servings you need. This is one of those dishes that doesn't require exact measurements. Also, I like to bring the feta to room temp, so it doesn't take too long to heat through when I add it to the skillet with the tomatoes.


Please visit Beth Fish Reads for Weekend Cooking.
Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend.

14 comments:

  1. I can see why it's become a favorite. Such a great summer meal -- well, an anytime meal. Easy and adaptable to whatever you have on hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And easy and adaptable to personal taste. I don't care for olives or marinated artichoke hearts, so I leave those out and let my husband add them to his plate/bowl. I suspect some grilled shrimp would be tasty, too.

      Delete
  2. This sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! And very easy, which is important to me when I work 9 1/2 hour days. :)

      Delete
  3. I love creating a meal out of what's on hand, and I make a similar dish but I hadn't thought to marinate the chicken. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to just use an Italian dressing, but then I discovered the Greek Feta dressing and it was a match made in heaven. :) Very flavorful. I use the same dressing when I just want to grill some chicken to use for chicken salad. Delicious!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I'd cut back on the mushrooms and add more olives. That looks delicious to me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm just the opposite! More mushrooms and tomatoes and less (or no) olives! :)

      Delete
  5. This looks delicious and like something I would really enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! And very adaptable, if you don't care for one or two of the ingredients. (Olives and artichokes are not my favorites!)

      Delete
  6. WOW...these sounds easy enough for me and looks wonderful as well --everything we like. Thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy and one of those recipes that just calls for creativity. I'm sure you can add or delete ingredients to your family's liking. Enjoy!

      Delete
  7. This looks SO GOOD. I might make it tonight!

    ReplyDelete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!