July 13, 2014

The Treatment


The Treatment by Mo Hayder
Jack Caffery Series #2
Thriller
2012 Dreamscape Media (audio)
Reader: Damien Goodwin
Finished on 4/18/14
Rating: 4/5 (Very Good)



Publisher's Blurb:
 
The suspense is relentless in The Treatment, an emotional powerhouse of a thriller that brings back Jack Caffery, the detective from Mo Hayder’s acclaimed novel Birdman. A masterful blend of psychological insight and forensic detail, Hayder’s latest thriller is as chilling as it is heartbreaking, a gritty, gripping tour de force of suspense.

It is a perfect summer day in London’s up-market Brockwell Park. Yet, behind the elegant facade of one house, a man and his wife have been taken prisoner in their own home and their young son has disappeared. But the final horror of their terrifying ordeal is still to be revealed.

Called in to investigate, Jack Caffery tries desperately to make sense of the meager clues found at the crime scene. But the echoes of a devastating disappearance in his own past make it impossible for him to view the crime objectively. And as Jack digs deeper, as the disturbing parallels between past and present mount, the real nightmares begin...

I read Mo Hayder’s intense thriller, Gone, a few years ago and have now listened to the audio productions of Birdman and The Treatment. These last two thrillers were exceptionally good on audio. The reader hits his marks with precise tension and emotion, yet I feel the suspense would have been even greater if I had read the print editions (as I did with Gone) rather than listening.

Final Thoughts:

Like Tana French, Mo Hayder is quickly becoming one of my favorite mystery authors. Her thrillers are gritty and not for the faint of heart, but I’ve enjoyed the character development of Caffery and am eager to see how he grows in the future installments to this series. The Treatment is not a heart-stopping thriller like Gone, but still very good! I plan to pick up #3 (Ritual) later this fall. 

Click here to read my review for Birdman.

Click here to read my review for Gone.

4 comments:

  1. I do love gritty thrillers in print but could never do them on audio! I've been wanting to try Hayder for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though it's further in the series, I'd recommend starting with Gone. It's a nailbiter!

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed the one book I've read by Hayder and keep meaning to read more by her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've learned that with most series, I need to allow time between each book or else they all start to blur together. This is one in which the stories are unique enough so that I don't need to. Hope you get back to Hayder!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!