February 6, 2016

Our Souls at Night



Our Souls at Night by Kent Haruf
Fiction
2015 Knopf ebook
Finished on August 1, 2015
Rating: 4.5/5 (Very Good!)





Publisher's Blurb:

A spare yet eloquent, bittersweet yet inspiring story of a man and a woman who, in advanced age, come together to wrestle with the events of their lives and their hopes for the imminent future.

In the familiar setting of Holt, Colorado, home to all of Kent Haruf’s inimitable fiction, Addie Moore pays an unexpected visit to a neighbor, Louis Waters. Her husband died years ago, as did his wife, and in such a small town they naturally have known of each other for decades; in fact, Addie was quite fond of Louis’s wife. His daughter lives hours away in Colorado Springs, her son even farther away in Grand Junction, and Addie and Louis have long been living alone in houses now empty of family, the nights so terribly lonely, especially with no one to talk with.

Their brave adventures—their pleasures and their difficulties—are hugely involving and truly resonant, making Our Souls at Night the perfect final installment to this beloved writer’s enduring contribution to American literature.

Another winner by the late Kent Haruf. I started this novel back in June, but set it aside to read a month later on my flight to Oregon. I wound up reading it on the flight home and the time passed very quickly. I love Haruf's spare prose and familiar settings and quickly came to care about the characters in this gem of a book. My only complaint is that it was too short. I wanted more and was surprised when I reached the last page. (I never pay attention to my place in a book while reading an ebook!) 

Final Thoughts:

This one's a keeper and worthy of several re-reads. R.I.P. Kent Haruf. You left us at the top of your game.

14 comments:

  1. I'm adding this one to my list. Thanks, Le!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it, Jenclair. As I mentioned, I read this on my Nook, and it was so good that I plan to buy the paperback when it comes out this summer. This is one I really want to have on my shelf, so I don't forget to read it a second time.

      Delete
  2. I'm having a little trouble finishing my words today--Les!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds very good, and I thought I would like to read it, but am not sure since your label is 'grief.' Not sure I want to read it if one of them dies. Still a happy ending kind of reader. :<)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably shouldn't have added that label, Nan. I think I included it because they have both lost their spouses and are now alone. That is, until they become friends.

      Delete
  4. I've read quite a few great reviews for this book so I've added it to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it, Kathy. I love his writing!

      Delete
  5. This sounds like a very good read. I've only read one of his books and it was so long ago that unfortunately can barely remember. Really should look for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read everything he's written, Iliana, and I didn't care for his earlier books. My favorites remain Plainsong, Eventide and this one. I'll be interested to hear how you like it. I seem to be reading a lot of books about aging these days and I wonder if this book would appeal to someone in their 20s or 30s, as much as it did to me?

      Delete
  6. Funny, I read this on a flight home from Denver last summer and loved it, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember having a conversation (on Goodreads) about this and the coincidence of reading it on our flights home. Yes, I'm still playing catch-up on my reviews. This one is 6 months overdue!

      Delete
  7. maggie sievers10:36 AM

    I believe this book is short because Haruf died before he finished it. Still, some books go on way too long. Souls at Night is a simple and loving story that, perhaps, leaves the reader wanting more. Characters are so very rich and compelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I read here, it was finished, but just needed a final copyedit. However, according to the one comment on that post, it sounds like he changed the ending at the urging of his wife. In any case, it felt a bit abrupt, but I still think that was because I had no idea where I was in the ebook when I got to the last sentence. This is such a great book, Maggie, and I am eager to read it again and again.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!