February 10, 2016

Waiting on Wednesday - The City of Mirrors



City of Mirrors is the 3rd and final installment in the Passage Trilogy by Justin Cronin. The book is set to be released this May and I am more than excited! I've listened to the first two books (The Passage and The Twelve), both of which were read by Scott Brick. City of Mirrors weighs in at a whopping 624 pages, so I definitely plan to stick with the audio version. I gave The Passage a near-perfect rating of 4.75/5, but The Twelve dropped down to 3.5/5. Fingers crossed that the grand finale ends on a high note!




Overview

In The Passage and The Twelve, Justin Cronin brilliantly imagined the fall of civilization and humanity’s desperate fight to survive. Now all is quiet on the horizon—but does silence promise the nightmare’s end or the second coming of unspeakable darkness? At last, this bestselling epic races to its breathtaking finale.

The world we knew is gone. What world will rise in its place?

The Twelve have been destroyed and the hundred-year reign of darkness that descended upon the world has ended. The survivors are stepping outside their walls, determined to build society anew—and daring to dream of a hopeful future.

But far from them, in a dead metropolis, he waits: Zero. The First. Father of the Twelve. The anguish that shattered his human life haunts him, and the hatred spawned by his transformation burns bright. His fury will be quenched only when he destroys Amy—humanity’s only hope, the Girl from Nowhere who grew up to rise against him.

One last time light and dark will clash, and at last Amy and her friends will know their fate.

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event that highlights a book we can't wait to be published.  It is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine.

12 comments:

  1. I loved The Passage, but like you, found The Twelve didn't quite satisfy me. Can't wait for the conclusion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenclair, it will be interesting if Cronin can win us over again. I don't know why The Twelve was a bit disappointing, but I've got my fingers crossed for The City of Mirrors.

      Delete
  2. I think I'll wait until it comes out and then try listening to all of them. I remember how much you enjoyed the first one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is a smart move, Kay. With a drawn-out trilogy, it's easy to forget the details from the previous installment. I'm sure I'll have to thumb through The Twelve to refresh my memory before I start listening to this new book. Hope you enjoy all three!

      Delete
  3. I haven't started that series but everyone loves it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The audios are quite good, Kathy, especially if you tend to avoid long books, as I do.

      Delete
  4. I haven't read this series and I am interested in it but oh gosh those books are chunksters. I feel like I need to be ready to devote some serious time to reading these before I start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, they are chunkster! As I recall, they didn't take too long to listen to, though.

      Delete
  5. Lots of people are anxious for this one. Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I hope this final installment is as good as the first in the series. Historically, that hasn't been the case in any of the trilogies I've read. :(

      Delete
  6. Well, I'm with you on this one. I LOVED The Passage, but found The Twelve a bit underwhelming. :-( High hopes for book 3 though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely high hopes, Anne! Thanks for stopping by. Do you have a blog I can follow?

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!