February 19, 2006

Isabel's Daughter











Isabel's Daughter by Judith Ryan Hendricks
Contemporary Fiction
Finished on 2/7/06
Rating: A (9/10 Terrific!)

What an enjoyable book. I was completely engrossed and grew anxious to get back to my reading when busy with other things. It’s been a long time since I’ve been so taken by a novel and I savored Hendricks’ lovely, descriptive prose. I found it a bit reminiscent of Elizabeth Berg’s detailed narratives.

I read Hendricks’ debut novel, Bread Alone, several years ago and while I enjoyed that light (read: fluff) story, I believe Isabel’s Daughter has more depth, both in plot and character development. I took pleasure in reading both about the location (Santa Fe) and the culinary details.

I discovered this lovely quote at the front of the book (page after the dedication page):

Your absence has gone through me
Like thread through a needle.
Everything I do is stitched
With its color.

W.S. Merwin

I highly recommend this gem of a book and plan to read more by the author. I’m anxious for the paperback edition of The Baker’s Apprentice to hit the shelves. Maybe this time I’ll get lucky with a sequel!


By the way, does anyone know the name of the page that comes after the dedication page??

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:30 AM

    Does the daughter die? Is this why the Merwin quote??
    NLW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, not the daughter.

    ReplyDelete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!