November 7, 2006

From The Stacks Winter Reading Challenge


I know. I know. I already have a challenge for November. But how can I possibly resist this one? It has prizes! And I figure I can join in during December and January, easily reading my five selections. Here are the details from Michelle over at Overdue Books:

If you are anything like me your stack of purchased to-be-read books is teetering over. So for this challenge we would be reading 5 books that we have already purchased, have been meaning to get to, have been sitting on the nightstand and haven't read before. No going out and buying new books. No getting sidetracked by the lure of the holiday bookstore displays.

The bonus would be that we would finally get to some of those titles (you know you picked them for a reason!) and we wouldn't be spending any extra money over the holidays.

The time frame would be Nov. 1st until Jan. 30 and there will be some small, fun prizes awarded to random participants and/or those with clever review posts. There will be one random drawing for a prize to those who submit their list of books in the comment section by Nov. 15th but feel free to join any time. There will be another random drawing for those who submit five reviews by Jan. 30 for a small gift certificate to Amazon.

So here's what I selected from my towering stacks:

The Other Side of the Bridge by Mary Lawson FINISHED!

The Swallows of Kabul by Yasmina Khadra FINISHED!

The Baker's Apprentice by Judith Hendricks

Leave Me Alone, I'm Reading by Maureen Corrigan READING NOW

A Circle of Quiet by Madeleine L'Engle


12 comments:

  1. Any book with the title quiet in it has my attention. I've read Swallows of Kabul and Leave Me Alone, but your other 3 are new titles for me. Can't wait to read your reviews of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:46 PM

    Hi, Les!

    Wonderful list! I've read "Swallows of Kabul" but am curious about "The Other Side of the Bridge" and "A Circle of Quiet", so I await your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:37 AM

    I really enjoyed "The Baker's Apprentice" and "By Bread Alone." The Corrigan and Khadra books are on my list, but will have to check into the other two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:11 AM

    I got Leave Me Alone I'm Reading as a Christmas gift last year and I just couldn't get into it. I was so disappointed because with a title like how can any bookworm pass it up, right? Anyway, I'm attributing it to right book, wrong time syndrome. I look forward to your thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to read Mary Lawson's The Other Side of the Bridge sometime. Will look forward to your thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read The Other Side of the Bridge for my Booker Prize Project and I was so impressed with it. I still mean to read her previous book, Crow Lake, and hopefully it will rise to the top of Mount TBR one of these years...

    Very nice list! I'm participating, too, but may be tweaking my list a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved The Circle of Quiet. Madeleine L'Engle is just one of the best. Ever. I hope you like it as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Booklogged and Lotus, I'm anxious to read Swallows of Kabul, as I've heard very good things about it. My mom sent me The Circle of Quiet after I read Two-Part Invention and I'm very excited to read it. It'll be difficult deciding what to start off with!

    Jenclair, I enjoyed Bread Alone, too. It was a little fluffy (brain candy), but I loved the descriptions of the main character's new home, job and the setting (Seattle, right? It's been a while!). Have you read her other book? Isabel's Daughter? I loved it! You can read my review here, if you like.

    Iliana, I hope I have better luck than you with Leave Me Alone I'm Reading. A very generous (and thoughtful) blogger (Naked Without Books) sent it to me all the way from South Korea!

    Ex Libris, I loved Crow Lake (read it twice) and am chomping at the bit to read Lawson's new release. It's been tough sticking to my current challenge with all these books tempting me!

    Lisa, I wonder how Crow Lake compares to The Other Side of the Bridge. I can hardly wait to start this reading challenge!

    Bellezza, I hope I enjoy the L'Engle book as much as you, too. I certainly enjoyed Two-Part Invention, so I have a feeling this will be a winner, too. Just a gut feeling, mind you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These books look so good. Look forward to your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And I look forward to reading them (the books, that is!), Framed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loathed Two Part Invention, which is quite unusual for me and Madeleine, so I'll be anxious to hear your opinion of Circle of Quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bellezza, may I ask why?

    ReplyDelete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!