November 30, 2006

TBR Challenge



Yep, another challenge hosted by Mizbooks over at Literary Cache. Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining! I love to compile lists of possibilities, stacking books in my office or on my nightstand and focusing on a specific set of titles for a given period of time. And this one should be fairly easy. Here are the details:

** Pick 12 books - one for each month of 2007 - that you've been wanting to read (have been on your "To Be Read" list) for 6 months or longer, but haven't gotten around to.

** Then, starting January 1, 2007, read one of these books from your list each month, ending December 31, 2007.
Easy peasy, lemon squeezy! I have SOOOOO many to choose from. And these are books I actually own. I don't dare choose books from my To Be Read Wishlist! I need to read what I own! I decided to look at all the possibilities and choose authors I've already read and loved. Since I'm also partaking in Bookfool's "Chunkster Challenge" (read: BIG time investment), I need to be fairly certain that I'll have good luck with what I've picked for Mizbooks' challenge. No new authors!

So, for today's Thursday Thirteen, here's my list (with one extra just in case...):


The Great Santini by Pat Conroy (Finished on 8/20/07)

The Tall Pine Polka by Lorna Landvik (DNF on 2/7/07)

Water Witches by Chris Bohjalian

Welcome to the World, Baby Girl! by Fannie Flagg

A Stranger's House by Bret Lott (DNF on 2/17/07)

Coming Home by Rosamunde Pilcher

Up Island by Anne Rivers Siddons (Finished on 6/26/07)

Harvesting the Heart by Jodi Picoult (Finished on 2/22/07)

Five Quarters of the Orange by Joanne Harris (Finished on 4/13/07)

One True Thing by Anna Quindlen (Finished on 9/12/07)

The Baker's Apprentice by Judith Ryan Hendricks (Finished 1/22/07)

Women of the Silk by Gail Tsukiyama (Finished on 3/12/07)

I was going to include remarks as to why I chose these books, but I figure I'll either add that information in response to reader comments or when I actually post my reviews next year.

I just realized one title (The Baker's Apprentice) overlaps with the Winter Reading Challenge, but that's ok. I'll just read it in January. You know, I could have just picked the same books that I selected for Bookfool's challenge, but where's the fun in that? This way, I should be able to knock off two dozen books from my TBR stacks. Hmmmm, wonder what I should do with all the empty space in our bookcases??? ;)

That's enough list-making. Time to go read!

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:20 PM

    I've read a couple of the ones you listed, so I'll be interested to see what you think of them - along with the others, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:44 PM

    How clever to list your TBR Challenge for TT. I haven't done a TT for two weeks now. Would you mind if I used you idea? I have books chosen, so it would be a quick list. I think these challenges are so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lesley - I hope the ones you read were enjoyable. Hard to believe I'm already thinking about what to read in 2007!

    Booklogged - Of course I don't mind! I'd love to see your list, so go for it. I agree. These challenges are fun. Now to print out all my various lists so I know what's "due" when!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:16 AM

    Yeay, Les, so glad you're doing the TBR 2007, the only book on your list that I have read already would be the Joanne Harris novel, which means I can now look forward to reading your thoughts on the other 12, can't wait!

    p.s. I've read Chris Bohjalian's "Trans-sister Radio" and "Midwives" and they were superb!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll read Up Island with you. I love Anne Rivers Siddons, and I have a copy on my shelf waiting for me. Go figure! Do you want to pick a month for us to read it in?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had already planned to do something similar for my own personal reading goals for 2007. Its a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lotus - I've read Midwives and Tran-Sister Radio, too. Loved both. The Law of Similars is also very good, as I recall. It's been many, many years since I read it, so my memory is a bit fuzzy on the details.

    Bellezza - Well, for some reason I think it might be a good summer read, don't you? Why don't we plan for June, but firm things up as we get closer to summer. Goodness, that seems so far off!

    Carl - I plan to save Water Witches for your Second Annual R.I.P. Challenge in October.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:10 AM

    Wow - these lists make me realize just how many books I have not read. Dear me!... Xan't wait to read the reviews. Do you intend to read them in that order? I had thought we had to asign a book for the month. Dam! I don't read between the lines - I invent!

    You can check mines out and laugh at me. At least my mistakes have some use ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nessie, I'll have to check again, but I don't think we have to read them in any particular order. At least I hope we don't! I just listed them randomly. I do plan to read The Baker's Apprentice first, however, since I have it on my From the Stacks Challenge list, too.

    ReplyDelete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!