December 18, 2011

Reposting - Stuart McLean

I haven't had much time this month to blog, so I thought I'd share an old post from December 2006.



Carl's G.I.F.T. Challenge Post #2







One of my dearest friends gave me a copy of Stuart McClean at the Vinyl Cafe - The Christmas Concert (cd) a few years ago. I love it for so many reasons.

1. It was a gift from a kindred spirit whom I've know for almost 10 years. We met in an on-line book forum, back in 1997, and have become the closest of pals, in spite of having never meet face-to-face.

2. The Christmas Concert (and all the Vinyl Cafe recordings) is a Canadian broadcast (and I'm half-Canadian).

3. The concert was recorded on my 35th birthday (December 13, 1996).

4. The stories make me laugh out loud, even though I've heard them several times now. Laughter is always a good thing, especially during the holidays when stress levels are high.

If you haven't had the opportunity to listen to a Vinyl Cafe broadcast, I strongly urge you to tune in for a show. Here's some listener information from their website:

Broadcast time:

Saturdays at 10:00 a.m. (10:30 NT) on CBC Radio Two
Sundays at 12:00 p.m. (12:30 NT) on CBC Radio One

United States Broadcast Information

The Vinyl Cafe is heard Saturday mornings on Radio Two and Sundays at brunch on Radio One. The show features music - both live and recorded - stories and the misadventures of Dave, the owner of the "Vinyl Cafe", the world's smallest record store, where the motto is "We may not be big, but we're small." The show also features Dave's wife, Morley, their two children, Sam and Stephanie and assorted friends and neighbours.


Or, if you can't tune in to CBC, head over to Amazon and buy a copy of the cd and start a new Christmas tradition. My favorite segments are:

Good King Wenceslas and Angels We Have Heard on High

Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy (performed with a mandolins, fiddle bass, guitar and banjo, of all things!)

Story: Dave on the Roof

Story: Dave Cooks a Turkey (this is quite long, but worth sitting and listening to, perhaps with a glass of wine or cocktail. It's hysterical!)

Silent Night

I love the music and Stuart is a joy to listen to. He's very entertaining and has a lovely sense of humor. There are several other Vinyl Cafe cds and books that I may just have to order. Thanks, Nan, for introducing me to this wonderful broadcast!

5 comments:

  1. Aw, there is never enough Stuart McLean or The Vinyl Cafe. Love him.
    I have a book edition of Dave Cooks the Turkey that I read each year. thanks for sharing this, and introducing Dave and Morley (and Stuart) to more people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. raidergirl3 - I usually listen to this album on Christmas Eve. I'm not sure which story I enjoy more--Dave on the Roof or Dave Cooks a Turkey. Both are good for a lot of laughs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a bad Canadian... I still have never experienced Stuart McLean. I have books by him on my TBR pile and everything...

    In case you don't post again before then, and even if you do it depends on my own blog visiting, Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear, dear Stuart McLean. I'm with raider girl. I so love him and his 'characters' who seem very real to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kailana - Oooh, you have to give Stuart McLean a listen (or read)! Funny stuff!

    Merry Christmas to you, too!

    Nan - I'm going to listen to him later this evening, after we get back from the movies and dinner. Oh, and after I work (7-2) today! :)

    ReplyDelete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!