May 2, 2016

A Month in Summary - April 2016



After three months of great reading, my streak has ended, at least with regard to the numbers. I blame this on all the ARCs I gave up on after reading well over 50-80 pages of each. Four DNFs should count as the equivalent of one book, right? But I did wind up finishing a total of five books and they were all very good, so I shouldn't complain, especially since they were all from my personal library (or audio books). 

Once again, I stuck to my goal of reading from my own shelves, but next month is going to be a different story. Two weeks ago, I found myself at the library for the first time in years and I came home with seven books that I've been eager to read. I'm devoting the entire month of May to a personal challenge of "Support Your Local Library," even though it doesn't help reduce the stacks of unread books around my house. I've already begun one of the novels and it pulled me in from the very first page, so I'm looking forward to some great reads.

Miller's Valley by Anna Quindlen (Own) 4/5

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling (Borrowed - Audio) 4/5

I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh (Own) - DNF

Try Not to Breathe by Holly Seddon (Own) - DNF

Be Frank With Me by Julia Claiborne Johnson (Borrowed - Audio) 4.5/5

Close My Eyes by Sophie McKenzie (Own) - DNF

A Land More Kind Than Home by Wiley Cash (Own) 4.5/5

The Guest Room by Chris Bohjalian (Borrowed - Audio) 4/5

The Why of Things by Elizabeth Hartley Winthrop (Own) - DNF

Stats:

Triple Dog Dare Challenge - Disregarding the books I did not finish, 2 of the 5 books read were from my own stacks (the other 3 were library audio books, so I believe I stuck to my goal).

5 books
5 novels
1 childrens
1 new-to-me-authors 
2 print
3 audio
3 female
2 male
3 borrowed
2 from my stacks 

Favorite of the Month: Be Frank With Me by Julia Claiborne Johnson

Reviews to follow 

8 comments:

  1. I'm with you, all those DNFs should count for at least a book! I think you still had a great month. I love your project of supporting your local library. I've been going to the library a lot this year and probably need to start focusing on my stacks a bit more. Will try to do that after vacation. Here's to a great May!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, the project of reading library books has been kind of a bust. I've started and stopped most of the books. I finished one and have started the last of the batch. Guess it's a good thing I borrowed all of these and didn't spend the money, right? Back to my personal stacks once I finish this last library book!

      Delete
  2. I think reading has ups and downs and I have yet to figure out why. Here's to a great May!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I have yet to figure it out, too! May is starting off rather slow, but my audio book (The Storyteller) is amazing! I'm now inspired to read a bunch of nonfiction books about the Holocaust.

      Delete
  3. That's too bad you had so many DNF this month, but I am glad you still managed to read some books you enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, it is too bad that I had so many DNFs, and May is starting off rather slow, as well. I sampled a bunch of library books and only finished one and have one left to try. My attention span is rather short these days and if the book doesn't grab me right away, I don't have the patience to keep trying.

      Delete
  4. I have months like that, with the DNFs. I think it's far better to go ahead and set aside a book that you're not falling in love with and move on than to waste your time on it. Will have to look up Be Frank With Me. I've seen it everywhere but haven't read anything at all about the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, I'm trying not to fret about my numbers, but it's frustrating to spend so much time on a book only to finally ditch it. Time to start reading what I really want to read and not some books that I feel a sense of obligation toward since I snagged the ARCs.

      Hey, have you read Jodi Picoult's The Storyteller? I'm listening to the audio and it's fantastic!! I've started a stack of nonfiction Holocaust titles that I want to read over the coming year.

      Hope you enjoy Be Frank With Me. I miss that kid!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!