September 16, 2007

Home Again, Home Again

Yes, we're home! We returned from Oregon on Wednesday evening (actually, more like Thursday morning, as it was 1:30 a.m. when we finally crawled into bed!), only to head back out Friday afternoon to visit some friends in Lathrop, Missouri (a twenty minute drive from Kansas City) for more R&R. I put the camera to great use on both trips and hope to get a few travel blog entries posted in the days to come. I also have 3 book reviews to write and post, not to mention all the blog-hopping I want to do. I've missed everyone!!

But first, an answer to all the inquires regarding the young reader in Victoria. She was engrossed in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I'm surprised nobody guessed that!

Second, a few things I've learned recently...

Just because one has never received a speeding ticket in 30 years of driving does not mean it can't happen! Guess where I'll be on Tuesday and Wednesday evening? Yep, from 6 to 10 I'll be at a Lincoln/Lancaster County S.T.O.P. (Safety Training Option Program) class. Lucky me.


I also learned that it's a good idea to put the camera strap around one's neck while photographing large spiders. That way, when you think said LARGE spider is leaping out toward your face (when in reality, it's only the zoomed-in web that's blowing in the breeze), you won't actually throw the camera on the deck as you run toward the back door! Lucky for me (and the camera), it didn't fall too far or hard on the deck.

Click to enlarge photo, only if you're brave!


Son of Shelob

Busy spinning his web!

Smile for the camera!
(Is it me, or does it look like this thing really does have a face?!)

11 comments:

  1. It's not just you - that spider does look like it has a face. Yurgh. That is so freaky, I'm sure I'm going to have nightmares. Glad the camera wasn't injured. I've yet to receive a speeding ticket, but I'll bear that in mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back! I don't think I'm brave enough to enlarge your spider pics, but I'm looking forward to seeing all your travel photos! :)
    I thought it was a given that she was reading Harry Potter... :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, my snakes scare you and THIS doesn't?:<)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good heavens, what a spider. Pretty though. Glad you are back home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, I jumped and the spider was obviously not moving toward me. I'm sure my camera would've been toast after that waving web incident.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great shots. Thanks for the good laugh. Glad you and the camera were both okay.

    That cat face spider was named because of the spots and coloring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. and just who would photograph such a large disgusting spider in the first place? I'm glad no one was wounded. That thing is big enough to spin enough silk for a jacket!

    Oh, and I'll think of you in court. An appropriate song to listen to before entering any courtroom whatsoever is Guthrie's "Alice's Restaurant." At least, that's what my son and I listened to before HE went.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome back, Les, wow, this has been a busy summer for you, hasn't it? Love the spider pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nancy - Isn't it the freakiest-looking spider?! Shudder! Thank goodness it was outside.

    I spent 4 hours in my STOP class last night and go back again for another 4 tonight. To be honest, it really isn't all that bad. The instructor is not at all boring. He's actually quite entertaining.

    Nat - Thanks! It's good to be back, although I feel like I'm still playing catch-up. Busy putting together Ofoto albums and writing up blog entries (in my mind).

    Regarding the Harry Potter book -- I did, too!

    Karen - Thank you! I love to travel, but it's always nice to come home. I tend to sleep better in my own bed. :)

    Nan - Well, I could probably smoosh it if need be. Snakes are too slithery and fast! ;)

    Kookiejar - Pretty?! A spider? Not in my book!! Ugh. Thanks for the welcome home.

    Andi - Yah, I think it's best if I just stay away from the spiders from here on out. Ya never know what they'll do. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Booklogged - Glad to provide a little humor every now and then. :) You know, I googled "cat face spider" and I'm not sure if that's what I was photographing. And I'm pretty certain I'll never know for sure since it took all my courage to look at the various spiders sites online before getting completely freaked out! I'll just take your word for it.

    Bellezza - I think I'll stick to bees and wasps. I don't like spiders and snakes. ;)

    Just to set the record straight, I'm not going to court for my speeding ticket. Just an 8-hour class. :) And as I mentioned above, it really isn't all that terrible. The instructor's quite entertaining, so the time doesn't drag. I'll have to listen (carefully) to that song again.

    Lotus - Yes, it has been a busy summer! I'm ready for cooler weather and shorter days so I can curl up with a good book and relax. Traveling is a lot of fun, but I rarely get any reading done! :)

    ReplyDelete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!