.

.

January 10, 2009

Address Unknown


Address Unknown by Kathrine Kressmann Taylor
Fiction - Epistolary
1938 Washington Square Press
Finished on 12/29/08
Rating: 3.5/5 (Good)



Product Description

When it first appeared in Story magazine in 1938, Address Unknown became an immediate social phenomenon and literary sensation. Published in book form a year later and banned in Nazi Germany, it garnered high praise in the United States and much of Europe.

A series of fictional letters between a Jewish art dealer living in San Francisco and his former business partner, who has returned to Germany, Address Unknown is a haunting tale of enormous and enduring impact.

I finished this book in one sitting -- well under an hour. I first read about it on Nan's blog and she later reminded me of it when I was getting my epistolary endcap together for work. While brief, this book packs a powerful punch. The ending caused me to sit up and flip back through the pages, re-reading a few of the letters.

Nan has written a lovely review that shouldn't be missed!

6 comments:

  1. A powerful punch indeed!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim - Ah, so you've read it, too. I need to pop over and read your review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard of this book somewhere before but can't remember. It sounds quite good though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the nice words, Les! I don't remember the very first place I heard of it, but it was certainly Cath's review that made me read it:
    http://read-warbler.blogspot.com/2007/11/two-short-books.html

    And Tara also wrote about it:
    http://booksandcooks.blogspot.com/2008/04/dipping-my-toe-back-into-waters.html

    I hope people bought it from your endcap display.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! Thanks for reviewing this. I've not heard of it before and will definitely look for a copy. I am a huge fan of epistolary novels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lesley - It is. And, it's a very quick read.

    Nan - You're welcome! I'm off to read Cath and Tara's reviews. Oh, and I looked at my endcap report and it looks like 2 copies were sold. Not bad, but not great either. Wonder how many customers just read it in the store?!

    Red lady-Bonnie - Thank you and thanks for visiting my blog. Be sure to check out my post about epistolary novels here.

    ReplyDelete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!