November 11, 2011

Among the Mad


Among the Mad by Jacqueline Winspear
Mystery (#6 in the Maisie Dobbs’ series)
2009 Macmillan Audio - Unabridged
Reader: Orlagh Cassidy
Finished 10/1/11
Rating: 3.5/5 (Good)




Nominated for a Macavity Award for best historical mystery

Publisher’s Blurb:

Christmas Eve, 1931. On the way to see a client, Maisie Dobbs witnesses a man commit suicide on a busy London street. The following day, the Prime Minister's office receives a letter threatening a massive loss of life if certain demands are not met—and the writer mentions Maisie by name. Tapped by Scotland Yard's elite Special Branch to be a special adviser on the case, Maisie is soon involved in a race against time to find a man who proves he has the knowledge and will to inflict destruction on thousands of innocent people.

In Among the Mad, Jacqueline Winspear combines a heart-stopping story with a rich evocation of a fascinating period to create her most compelling and satisfying novel yet.

Among the Mad is another enjoyable installment in the Maisie Dobbs series. It’s not one of my favorites, nor is it one that I’ll remember too vividly, but I was entertained while listening.

Nan said:

Jacqueline Winspear has given us such a gift: an appealing, interesting, complex heroine, intriguing mysteries, and much information about society and life in this particular time period.

Go here to read her complete review.

Joy said:

I have enjoyed all of the Maisie Dobbs mysteries, but this one is my favorite after the first one. There is a great deal of psychology involved, especially relating to the minds of WWI veterans. I found it sad, yet interesting and educational. It makes me wonder about our veterans of today. Are their needs being met?

Go here to read her complete review.

I have only one more book remaining of Winspear’s mysteries in my stacks. I hope she continues to write about Maisie and would love to see all of these books filmed. Wouldn’t they make a lovely BBC series?

4 comments:

  1. I haven't started this series but my mother is totally charmed by Maisie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't you nice to always offer links to other reviews?! I mean to, but don't often do so. I should try harder.
    This was the darkest of all the Maisies I've read. Troubling stuff.
    I would say that no, our veterans' needs are not being met. Sadly, sadly it is same as it ever was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am hoping she keeps writing the Maisie Dobbs series, too. I really enjoy it and look forward to each new release.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy - You're lucky to have the whole series ahead of you! :)

    Nan - I sometimes wonder if I'm taking advantage of other reviewers' words. I guess I just like to show another perspective, especially if it's for a book that I don't have much to chat about.

    Yes, this was quite a dark read. And what a coincidence that I posted it on Veteran's Day. That was completely unintentional.

    Kailana - I'm anxious for this next one. I haven't read a printed installment since the first in the series, so it'll be fun to curl up with A Lesson in Secrets, although I'll miss listening to Orlagh Cassidy.

    ReplyDelete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!