December 20, 2012

2012 Year End Survey



1. Ten favorite books read in 2012?

2. Most disappointing book?

3. Most surprising books of 2012?

4. Book(s) you recommended to people most in 2012?

5. Favorite authors you discovered in 2012? 
  • Gillian Flynn
  • Mo Hayder
  • Justin Cronin
  • Jenny Wingfield

6. Most thrilling book in 2012?

7. Book you most anticipated in 2012?
  • Love Anthony by Lisa Genova
  • Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsovler

8. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2012?

9. Most memorable characters in 2012?

10. Most beautifully written books read in 2012?

11. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2012?

12. Book you can't believe you waited until 2012 to finally read?

13. Favorite passage/quote from a book you read in 2012?
A good marriage drags a long tail of memory behind it. A single word or gesture, a tone of voice can conjure up so many remembrances. Laurie and I had been flirting like this for thirty-odd years, since the day we met in college and we both went a little love-crazy. Things were different now, of course. At fifty-one, love was a quieter experience. We drifted through the days together. But we both remembered how it all started, and even now, in the middle of my middle age, when I think of that shining young girl, I still feel a little thrill of first love, still there, still burning like a pilot light. (Defending Jacob by William Landy)

14. Authors which you would like to read more of in 2013? 
  • Gillian Flynn
  • Mo Hayder
  • Donna Leon
  • Justin Cronin

15. Books that had a shocking ending?

16. Best children's book read in 2012?
  • When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

17. Any challenges you completed in 2012?

18. Any read-alongs you completed in 2012?

19. Blogging plans for 2013?
  • To be announced...

24 comments:

  1. Your most surprising books were surprising to me when I read them too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And they both came highly recommended, so I'm not sure why I was so surprised. ;)

      Delete
  2. I want to read The Passage, too. And, thanks to you, I read Mo Hayder for the first time this year. I was very impressed by Defending Jacob, a book which will stick with me far beyond 2012. Loved reading your answers, Les! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually don't put these type of lists together until well after the New Year, but I'm home today (we had blizzard-like conditions last night, so I switched my schedule and will work on Saturday) and so enjoyed reading your responses that I decided I should post mine, as well. Glad you discovered Mo Hayder. I'm anxious to try more of her thrillers.

      Delete
  3. Lots of new-to-me books here. Or rather, newly-interesting books that I overlooked earlier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I love about these year-end lists. I always discover several gems that I had either overlooked or had missed completely.

      Delete
  4. What a list! I added several titles to my tbr list. I have the new Barbara Kingsolver waiting for me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Kingsolver book is fantastic. It's one I won't forget for a long, long time. But then, I feel the same way about The Homecoming of Samuel Lake. And, The Passage. Guess I should stop here or I'll wind up reposting my entire list. :)

      Delete
  5. I've only read one of your top 10 books??!! Must fix that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which one and did you like it as much as I did?

      Delete
  6. I loved this list and the reasons why you enjoyed the books...I'm making a board on Pinterest of my favorite bloggers favorite books from 2012 so that I can easily look back at what you loved. There are several on your list that I read and loved too. Plus, there are many that I own but haven't made time yet to read them, but I will!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea! I'm trying to wean myself off Pinterest, but this sounds like a helpful board, especially since I'm more of a visual person. Of course, I can add all my favorite bloggers favorite books to Goodreads just as easily. :) I still have several that I want to read from last year's lists!

      Delete
  7. I love these surveys! The Homecoming of Samuel Lake will be on my list this year and Emily, ALone was one of my favorites last year. We also share The Hunchback of Neiman Marcus - definitely my most surprising book last year.

    I'm adding Flight Behavior to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to pop over and read your review for Emily, Alone. I absolutely loved it and know I'll read it again in the coming years.

      I hope you enjoy The Homecoming of Samuel Lake and Flight Behavior. Both are excellent!

      Delete
  8. Les,

    Fun reading your lists! And I'm stealing some of your subtitles for ontheporchswing!! LOL!

    Linda in VA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Linda! Hope all is well with you. Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  9. Looks like you had a good year, Les! Happy Holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a pretty good year, both in quality and quantity. I'll never hit 100 books in a single year, but I sure did find some winners.

      Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  10. Great survey! And looking forward to those TBA blog plans. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it, Andi. The TBA plan will be up in another day or two...

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb. It's not my usual end-of-the-year summary, but it was fun.

      Delete
  12. I loved reading your answers to this survey! Thanks for sharing, Les!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Joy. Happy New Year!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!