June 24, 2013

Under the Dome

From Shelf Awareness:




Under the Dome, a 13-part series based on Stephen King's novel (media tie-in edition available from Gallery Books), premieres tonight on CBS at 10 p.m. In a positive review, the New York Times wrote: "You can say goodbye to your next two Monday nights, and possibly--if past for once is not precedent--the whole summer's worth."

From Steven Spielberg's Amblin Television, the series "has a cinematic pedigree that gives it a good shot at transcending superficiality," the Times added, praising screenwriter Brian K. Vaughan (Lost) and a "pretty appealing" cast that includes Mike Vogel, Britt Robertson, Alexander Koch, Rachelle Lefevre (A Gifted Man) and Dean Norris (Breaking Bad).


I'm not a fan of mini-series (and I plan to wait to watch this on dvd), but I decided to join several blogger friends and read Under the Dome this summer. The official start date of the readalong (aka #DomeAlong Readalong) was May 25th. I began on the 26th and I'm not even halfway through the novel. The readalong ends on July 27th, so I think I can manage to meet that goal!

If you're a fan of King's or want to give this book a try, it's certainly not too late to sign up. Natalie, of Coffee and a Book Chick, is our readalong hostess, so stop over and check out all the details!

Nat asks us a few questions...

Show us your copy! Audio or print?

Ebook, although I really wish I had it on audio, as well. 

Have you read Uncle Stevie before?

Oh, yeah! I even posted a list of my favorites (as of 2007), which you can find here.

What are you familiar with about Under the Dome or Stephen King?

I wasn't familiar with anything prior to beginning the book. Since I don't watch TV (we watch a lot of our favorite shows on Netflix), I haven't even seen the trailer.

What are you looking forward to?

At this point, I'm looking forward to that moment when I get sucked in and can't put the book down. I think I'm close, but it hasn't quite happened. Yet. At least I'm to the point where I feel like I've got a handle on the cast of characters.

Thanks, Natalie, for organizing this event! I'm sorry it's taken me so long to write my kick-off post. Let's blame it on my early summer travels, shall we? I also want to thank Trish & SuzieQ for their ongoing encouragement on Twitter. :) Y'all are the best readalong pals!

14 comments:

  1. From chatting this morning I think you're close, too. I kept wondering if I was ever going to get sucked in but ohmygoodness. I hopped over to your list of King favorites as I'm trying to figure out where to go next (well, after The Talisman which I'll read next month) but many of them look to be horror and I just can't do it (even though I loved IT).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a lot of reading in this week, but I still have quite a long way to go. 715/1357 on my NOOK. But at least it's getting more interesting. I still recommend Bag of Bones. It's creepy, but it's also a love story.

      Delete
  2. I've only (been brave enough to) read one Stephen King book and it scared the fire out of me. The Stand. I'm a big chicken. I admit it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does have a way of creepy me out!

      Delete
  3. I wanted to watch this last night but needed to get to bed. I did tape it and will catch up later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is why I'm going to wait and watch it when it goes to dvd. I hate to "schedule" my evenings around a tv show.

      Delete
  4. Can't wait to talk a out the end of this with you. In July. ;) it was one of the best King (Uncle Stevie's?) endings I've read. I still think of it from time to time, and I read the Dome in Fall of 2011.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I hope I'm finished by the end of July. As I told Trish, I'm only on 715/1357 on my Nook. Maybe I'll carve an hour or two out of my day and get some more reading in today. Glad to know it's one of your favorites!

      Delete
  5. With everyone reading this one it makes me want to jump on the bandwagon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it! You'll probably finish before me. :)

      Delete
  6. So glad you're joined up! I got sucked into the book around page 200 and then I just couldn't put it down. I heard that it's actually going to be a series and not a mini-series, which is odd! I haven't watched it yet, but my DVR is recording away! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have gotten sucked in earlier if I was reading the actual book. I'm still not a big ereader fan, so it sat around a lot. But now I'm hooked. I'm definitely watching the series once I finish the book.

      Delete
  7. Definitely watch the mini-series with the idea that it is an adaptation of the book similar to the way that Taco Bell makes real tacos. So many changes. It's an amazingly fast read for such a long book, although I sometimes did begin to think "really??" But King is so much fun, you just buy into it for the fun of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice, Lisa. I've heard that the program is loosely based on the book, so I'm prepared. I only have 200 pages remaining in the book and I'm tempted to ditch my weekend chores for another day of reading on the porch.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!