January 15, 2014

(Almost) Wordless Wednesday

Oregon Coast Wave Series
December 2013

 The sea! the sea! the open sea!
The blue, the fresh, the ever free!
Without a mark, without a bound,
It runneth the earth's wide regions round;
It plays with the clouds; it mocks the skies;
Or like a cradled creature lies.
~ Barry Cornwall



"Look at that sea, girls--
all silver and shadow and vision of things not seen.
We couldn't enjoy its loveliness any more
if we had millions of dollars and ropes of diamonds."
~ Lucy Maud Montgomery
(Anne of Green Gables)



The voice of the sea speaks to the soul.
The touch of the sea is sensuous,
enfolding the body in its soft, close embrace.
~ Kate Chopin
(The Awakening)



I loved the Sea.
Whether in calm it glassed the gracious day
With all its light, the night with all its fires;
Whether in storm it lashed its sullen spray,
Wild as the heart when passionate youth expires;
Or lay, as now, a torture to my mind,
In yonder land-locked bay, unwrinkled by the wind.
~ Richard Henry Stoddard
(Carmen Naturoe Triumphale)


Click on photos for larger viewing.

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy. I'm always surprised that my camera can take such nice shots.

      Delete
  2. Oh, Les, you caught the water and the sky and the sun perfectly! Thank you for sharing these with us. Oregon, right? It's so beautiful, yet I can only imagine how cold it is. The ultimate ice princess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was Oregon (Depoe Bay, to be precise). It's very pretty there and I feel such peace when I'm walking along the path overlooking those bluffs out to the waves. Yes, I suspect that water is VERY cold. Not at all like SoCal!

      Thank you for your lovely comment. I'm glad so many of my readers enjoy my photos. It's fun to look back through all my posts (via the tags). I actually "borrowed" all these captions/poems from another post about Oregon (from several years ago).

      Delete
  3. The sea is so healing to me! I loved the vicarious trip through your photographs while I sit at my desk suffering from the worst cold and hoping to breath that good salt air!

    (Posted about our read-along of Iron Lake this morning. Started it last night in a fit of dying to read something good, and I love it!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Bellezza. I love the ocean and need to live closer to it!

      I'm so sorry you are sick. If I lived nearby, I'd bring you all those wonderful treats that help make a person feel better in spite of the sore throat and raw nose. Fresh-squeezed orange juice, tea, perhaps some shortbread cookies, honey-lemon cough drops, and a cd of Pablo Casals playing Bach (on the cello).

      I'm glad Iron Lake is starting off well. I'm picking up my copy tomorrow after work. I plan to set Stephen King's tome aside for a bit. I do enjoy his novels, but they are SO long!

      Delete
    2. I set aside Iron Lake as of course, in their wonderful timing, the library notified me that two books I had on hold are in. One is The Luminaries by Cotton (which won the 2013 Man Booker prize and I'm loving), the second is The End of Your Life Book Club which i'm reading for one of the book clubs I'm in. So, it looks like I really will be reading Iron Lake in February, which, as we know is still a perfect month for anything cold and wintry. xo

      Delete
    3. I got a copy from the library this weekend. I have a couple of books I need/should read first, so the end of February sounds perfect. Both of your books sound great. I've heard very good things about The End of Your Life Book Club. I have it on audio, but want to read the print edition.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful pictures and words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iliana. It's one of my most favorite places in the world.

      Delete
  5. Those photos leave me breathless, Les!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Wendy! It was an amazing day for December. Actually, the entire time I was there, the sun came out which is very unusual.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!