March 9, 2016

The End of Summer


The End of Summer by Rosamunde Pilcher
Fiction
1971 St. Martin's Paperbacks
Finished on September 11, 2015
Rating: 2/5 (Don't Recommend)





Publisher's Blurb:

When you read a novel by Rosamunde Pilcher you enter a special world where emotions sing from the heart. A world that lovingly captures the ties that bind us to one another--the joys and sorrows, heartbreaks and misunderstandings, and glad, perfect moments when we are in true harmony. A world filled with evocative, engrossing, and above all, enjoyable portraits of peoples lives and loves, tenderly laid open for us...

After years in the United States, Jane returns to the tranquil Scottish estate, Elvie, where she spent a magical childhood. Memories of Elvie had always summoned the image of Sinclair, the rakish man Jane had once dreamed of marrying, but now that she is home, she finds Sinclair a different man. His charm has a purpose, and Jane can no longer trust him... or herself.

Rosamunde Pilcher has been one of my favorite authors since I first discovered her famous novel, The Shell Seekers, back in the early '90s. I've read several of her shorter novels, but none have provided me with anything close to the great enjoyment I've experienced in reading her longer sagas. I continue to read these novellas, however, ever hopeful that one will surprise me. Unfortunately, Endless Summer isn't the one. I was terribly disappointed in the story and probably shouldn't have wasted my time, as I was eager to finish and move on to something else.

Final Thoughts:

If you haven't tried any of Rosamunde Pilcher's books, I strongly recommend The Shell Seekers, as well as September and Winter Solstice. Sadly, I can't recommend any of her short stories, including Endless Summer.

6 comments:

  1. Agreed. Shell Seekers and September are wonderful. I need to read Winter Solstice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I keep hoping to read Coming Home, but I've been staying away from chunksters so far this year. I don't know why, as I'm sure the pages will fly. :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't read any of those shorter books and am not really inclined to do so. I think I'll just keep the ones that I loved and perhaps one day do a reread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, I found one more on my shelf the other day and decided not to bother and put it in my stack for the little neighborhood library. If you wind up re-reading one, let me know. I need a nudge to do so and would love to buddy read!

      Delete
  3. And I love her short stories much better than her long novels! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan, I'm not at all surprised! :)

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!