May 19, 2016

Looking Back - Wuthering Heights



Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.



Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
Fiction - Classic
1959 Signet Classic (Originally published in 1847)
Finished on March 29, 1996
Rating: 3/5 (Good)

Publisher's Blurb:
 
In a house haunted by memories, the past is everywhere...

As darkness falls, a man caught in a snowstorm is forced to shelter at the strange, grim house Wuthering Heights. It is a place he will never forget. There he will come to learn the story of Cathy: how she was forced to choose between her well-meaning husband and the dangerous man she had loved since she was young. How her choice led to betrayal and terrible revenge - and continues to torment those in the present. How love can transgress authority, convention, even death. And how desire can kill.


My Original Notes (1996):

I have never read this, not even in high school! It started off a little confusing, with lots of characters to get familiar with, plus a flashback told by the housekeeper. I really got into the book, though, and couldn't put it down. Very tragic. Not your happy ending romance. Heathcliff was horrible! Not as good as Jane Eyre, but still enjoyable.

I rented the video, which was very disappointing. It left out the second generation of characters!

My Current Thoughts:

Although it's been 20 years since I read this novel, I can still remember certain scenes in my mind's eye. I also remember that I compared it to Jane Eyre (which I have read a couple of times) and while I liked Charlotte Bronte's novel better, I still enjoyed Wuthering Heights, so much so that I'm willing to give it another read some day.

This relationship map sure would have come in handy!


10 comments:

  1. It's been a while since I read this one too. I remember feeling like I was supposed to love it but I didn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I tend to feel that way about most "classics."

      Delete
  2. I read this as part of a read-along with Trish, Jill, and others quite a few years ago. If I remember correctly, the readalong itself was a lot more enjoyable than the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bet the readalong was a lot of fun, JoAnn. I need to participate in more of those!

      Delete
  3. I am in the great minority - I can't stand the Brontes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan, I've only read two by the Brontes. I'm not a huge fan...

      Delete
  4. I've thought about rereading Wuthering Heights to see if it's better the second time around. I was not impressed the first time but I was expecting a love story and didn't find it at all romantic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, if you weren't impressed the first time around, I doubt you'd enjoy it with a second reading. The characters aren't very likeable!

      Delete
  5. Oh yes, a relationship map would definitely be helpful what with the moving back and forth in time. I reread this a few years ago and still hated both Cathy and Heathcliff, although I can appreciate the story and the writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I'm glad I read it, but I sure didn't love it. I probably won't bother reading it again unless it's for a readalong.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!