June 30, 2016

Looking Back - Night


Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.


Night by Elie Wiesel
Nonfiction - Memoir
1982 Bantam (First published in 1958)
Finished on July 10, 1996
Rating: 5/5 (Outstanding!)

Publisher's Blurb:

A terrifying account of the Nazi death camp horror that turns a young Jewish boy into an agonized witness to the death of his family... the death of his innocence... and the death of his GOD. Penetrating and powerful, as personal as The Diary of Anne Frank, Night awakens the shocking memory of evil at its absolute and carries with it the unforgettable message that this horror must never be allowed to happen again.

Original Yiddish title: Un di Velt Hot Geshvign/And the World Remained Silent


My Original Notes (1996):

I highly recommend this book. Short, concise and heartbreaking. How could anyone survive the ordeal without losing their mind?!

My Current Thoughts:

It's probably time to read this book again. 


Sometimes we must interfere. When human lives are endangered, when human dignity is in jeopardy, national borders and sensitivities become irrelevant. Whenever men or women are persecuted because of their race, religion, or political views, that place must--at that moment--become the center of the universe.

7 comments:

  1. My son read this in high school and raved about it so I know I need to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, now that Wiesel has just passed away, I feel more compelled to read it sooner than later.

      Delete
  2. And today he died.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I about cried when I read the news. :(

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. It's more than time for me to read it for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, and it's more than time for me to read it again. This one's a keeper.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!