November 3, 2016

Looking Back - 84, Charing Cross Road


Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.



84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff
Nonfiction
1990 Penguin Books (First published in 1970)
Finished in December 1996
Rating: 5/5 (Terrific!)

Publisher's Blurb: 

This charming classic, first published in 1970, brings together twenty years of correspondence between Helene Hanff, a freelance writer living in New York City, and a used-book dealer in London. Through the years, though never meeting and separated both geographically and culturally, they share a winsome, sentimental friendship based on their common love for books. Their relationship, captured so acutely in these letters, is one that will grab your heart and not let go.

My Original Notes (1996):

One of my all-time favorite books ever read!! I loved it! I feel as if I know Helene and all her friends at Marks & Co. How heartbreaking that she never did meet Frank Doel. I saw the movie before reading the book and they were both equally wonderful. Ann Bancroft and Anthony Hopkins play Helene and Frank. A wonderful romance. Now I want to go back to London!

My Current Thoughts:

I've read this lovely gem of a book at least three times and it never fails to entertain and touch me. It's been ages since I watched the movie (which I'm sure I've seen at least twice), so maybe I'll add it to my Netflix queue and watch it later this winter.

Highly recommend to all lovers of books and bookstores!

I love the cover art for the different editions of this book. I've also included a couple of images from the movie. 





11 comments:

  1. Love this book! An all-time favorite here, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, I could read it once a year. So good!!!

      Delete
  2. Les, I also ADORE this book! What is more, the film was wonderful too! You know the scene where they go to the beach? That is Eastbourne! I always make a point to stand in the same spot where Anthony Hopkins and Judi Dench were in the movie!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, I can't really imagine any book lover not adoring this book, can you? :) I do remember that scene in the movie where Hopkins and Dench are at the beach. What I'd forgotten is that Judi Dench is in the movie!! I really need to watch it again. How neat that it's Eastbourne!

      Delete
    2. I don't know why more people don't know of this book!
      When you watch the movie again, the actors are at the Bandstand...they are just behind it, at a railing looking out to sea...
      oh dear, I will have to do another post on Eastbourne and the lovely Bandstand! TA!

      Delete
  3. I loved this book, too. What we've lost in this day of instant international communication. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, isn't that the truth! I did sit down and write to two friends today. Even used a pen, paper and stamps. :)

      Delete
  4. Unfortunately I don't think I've seen the entire movie. I should really look for it one of these days. This is such a sweet and lovely book. I happen to have the white cover with the colorful mailboxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, you really should watch the entire movie when you get a chance. Lucky you to have that edition with the colorful mailboxes. I think it's a British edition!

      Delete
  5. I so love it when you and I agree on a book!! I love it beyond words, and I love the movie. It is well worth buying on DVD. I've watched it over and over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan, I love it when we agree on a book, too. I wonder how many there are? :) BTW, I just bought the DVD so I can watch it over and over. I don't know why I didn't get it sooner!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!