November 28, 2017

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - Winter Street


First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros is a weekly meme hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea every Tuesday. Feel free to join in the fun!

Christmas is less than a month away and I've decided to kick off my December reading with the first book in Hilderbrand's "Winter" series.


 by Elin Hilderbrand
2014 Little, Brown and Company



He thinks nothing of walking into room 10 without knocking. The door is unlocked, and George hasn't checked in yet, anyway. George is due on the eleven-thirty ferry with his 1931 Model A fire engine, a bespoke Santa Claus vehicle, but he was delayed because of snow in the western part of the state. George has gamely brought the fire engine over and donned the red suit every December for the past twelve years. George weighs in at 305 pounds, give or take the five, and is the jolly owner of a full head of white hair and a white goatee (new since his divorce; before, it was a full beard.) Kelley wants George to arrive so that Mitzi will relax. According to Mitzi, no one can possibly replace George, and nothing ruins Christmas like an absent Santa.
What do you think? Would you continue reading?

11 comments:

  1. I read the first three books of the series last year between Christmas and New Years, and the final installment over Thanksgiving. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was your recent comment about reading the final installment that prompted me to get a copy at the library! :)

      Delete
  2. Great series. I listen on audio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nise, I borrowed this one from the library, but I may give the next installment a try on audio. I have a lot of Audible credits to use up!

      Delete
  3. This sounds fun; I think it is one I meant to try but never did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I've read a couple of her earlier books and after reading JoAnn's remarks about the series, I decided to give this one a try. I don't usually read Christmas books, but what the heck!

      Delete
  4. I don't know if that paragraph would make me want to read more, (probably, has a Maeve Binchy vibe) but that cover is gorgeous. I'd read the book just to have that cover to look at for a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raidergirl3, I've never read anything by Binchy and I'm not really into fluff, but I've heard good things about the series and thought I'd give it a try. Yes, the cover art is lovely.

      Delete
  5. I do enjoy Binchy, though not usually into Christmas books. May give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claudia, I'm struggling with this novel, but I'll probably finish it since it's a fairly quick read. I'm finding it just a little to fluffy...

      Delete
    2. Les - These are the fluffiest books I've ever read! Doubt I would have the patience for them most times, but it was perfect for my exhausted post-Christmas state last year. I read the 4th installment the Sunday after Thanksgiving this year...also perfect timing.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!