November 5, 2017

Shrimp and Grits - Weekend Cooking


It's been well over two years since I posted a Weekend Cooking recipe, but now that I'm not working, I have a little more time to cook and try out new recipes. Earlier this summer we stopped at Fort George Brewery, our favorite place to grab a bite to eat when we're in Astoria, Oregon. The folks next to us were sharing a couple of servings of Shrimp N' Grits, which looked amazing. Until that day I had never tasted grits, but theirs looked so good that I decided it was time to give them a try.





Wow! What an amazing meal that turned out to be. Sauteed shrimp, applewood bacon, Tillamook Cheddar, Bob's Red Mill grits, wild mushrooms, shallots and parsley. I was hooked!

After we returned from that trip, I wanted to see if I could find a similar recipe online. I discovered a couple and gave them a whirl, but something was missing. I decided to ask my aunt and uncle who live in North Carolina and have made this dish on many occasions. I wanted to use the quick-cooking grits that I had already purchased for my first attempt at the recipe, so I took their recipe and tweaked it a little bit with a couple of other recipes. Voila! I think I was able to duplicate the same flavors I experienced at Fort George. I have since made it while camping and several times at home. It has quickly become a favorite in our dinner rotation. 



Shrimp and Cheesy Grits


Ingredients

1 cup uncooked quick-cooking grits
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
3 tablespoons butter, divided
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
8 slices bacon
8 oz. sliced wild mushrooms
1 - 2 lbs. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1-2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup chopped green onions 
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Hot sauce

Bring chicken broth to boil in saucepan. Stir in grits. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 or 7 minutes until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, 2 tablespoons of butter and shredded cheese. Cover and keep warm.

While the grits are cooking, begin frying the bacon in a large skillet until crisp. Remove from pan and crumble into small pieces. Discard all but 1-2 tablespoons of the bacon fat.

Saute mushrooms and green onions in reserved fat, cooking until just tender. Set aside with bacon.

Cook shrimp in 1 tablespoon of butter over medium heat until almost pink, stirring occasionally for 4-6 minutes. Do not overcook! Add lemon juice, sauteed mushrooms & onions, and crisp bacon. 

Divide the grits among four warm bowls or plates. Spoon the shrimp mixture over the cheesy grits and garnish with parsley. Serve immediately.

Serve with hot sauce.

Yield: 4 servings

Please visit Beth Fish Reads for Weekend Cooking.
Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend.

10 comments:

  1. I love shrimp and grits when I travel, but I've never made them at home. now you've convinced me I have to give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only is this a delicious recipe, it's super easy, too! Enjoy!

      Delete
  2. That's a popular dish in this part of the country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the cheesy flavor of the grits and may have to try it with a fried egg or something else sometime. I don't think I'd like plain grits, though.

      Delete
    2. Oh, plain grits are lovely. I love them with lots of butter, salt and pepper, and even for breakfast with butter and sugar. The shrimp and grits I ate in Charleston in Fall 2000 (the first time I had them) and that I've eaten here at Buttons, have also had plain grits instead of cheesy grits.

      I've never attempted to make my own shrimp and grits, but your recipe looks so good, I may have to give it a try.

      Delete
    3. Janet, I'll have to give the plain grits a try. Let me know how you like this recipe if you get around to trying it!

      Delete
  3. So glad you posted the recipe! The shrimp and grits at Doc Ford's in Sanibel is my favorite. I tried to duplicate it once at home, but it turned out too rich and cheesy. Will give this recipe a try - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we get to try the S&G at Doc Ford's someday! As far as rich and creamy, my aunt's recipe called for heavy cream, but I skipped it since the grits already had a lot of butter and cheese. You can always add or delete some of the cheese to your taste, too. Let me know how you like it!

      Delete
  4. I am a shrimp lover, so I will have to give this one a go!

    Thanks for sharing,

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, this has become a favorite of ours. I'm planning to make it again on our upcoming camping trip. :)

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!