December 30, 2017

Old-Fashioned Sugar Cookies

Last weekend I shared a recipe for sugar cookies that was given to me by a neighbor. This was the first Christmas I tried her recipe and they were a big hit with my family. As I was going through my stacks of recipes, I discovered yet another for "Old-Fashioned Sugar Cookies," which Nan sent to me in 2007. I decided it was high time to try these, as well.

Old-Fashioned Sugar Cookies
Mary Engelbreit


Ingredients

1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup margarine
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup coarse white or colored sugar, or a combination

Preheat oven to 375.

Lightly grease baking sheets.

In a large bowl, beat the butter, margarine, confectioners sugar and granulated sugar in an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, vanilla, baking powder and salt. Beat in the flour at slow speed.

Roll the dough into 1-inch balls. Roll to coat well in the coarse sugar. Place about 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets. Use the bottom of a glass to flatten each cookie. Bake for about 10 minutes or until golden.

Transfer cookies to wire rack to cool completely.

Yield: 3 dozen cookies

My Notes:

I used 1 cup of butter instead using the margarine.

I heated the oven to 350 instead of 375.

I used my Silpat baking mats (you can also use parchment paper) instead of greasing the cookie sheets.

I dipped the bottom of the glass in water before flattening the cookie so the dough wouldn't stick.

I sprinkled colored sugar on top of the cookie, rather than rolling the entire ball in sugar. They were still sweet enough.

We taste-tested these and the sugar cookies I made with my neighbor's recipe. Both winners!


Please visit Beth Fish Reads for Weekend Cooking.
Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend.

14 comments:

  1. Have a very Happy New Year! Cheers from carole's chatter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too, Carole! Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  2. I love sugar cookies. These sound yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy - Well, with the New Year approaching, I'd like to get all the sweets out of the house, but we still have at least a dozen of these cookies in the pantry. I may have to have cookies at milk before midnight. :)

      Delete
  3. Sugar cookies are always so welcome in this house. I'll put this on my list for a bit later in the winter. (I think I'm done baking for a while now!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Candace, these are far too tempting and I'd really like to have them all gone before New Year's Day. I'm finished with baking for now, too. Healthy eating begins tomorrow!

      Delete
  4. It's great to get a simple old fashioned recipe! Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judee, these are quite delightful and so very simple to make. Have a Happy New Year, too!

      Delete
  5. I’ve been on a cookie mission lately. Love a sweet with coffee in the afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, I think I've had my fill of cookies for a few months. Time to hit the gym and get back to some healthier meals now that the holidays are behind us. Maybe I'll bake some cookies for Valentine's Day. I know my husband won't complain! :)

      Delete
  6. These look way too yummy! I'll sample them virtually. Nan probably gave me the same recipe in 2007. However, no cookies for us this year.

    Happy New Year to all of you! And I'm back to blogging tomorrow. Nan predicted it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear you can use all butter. Not a fan of margarine - must try Nan's recipe. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Diane, I stopped using margarine more than a decade ago. Can't stand the stuff!

    ReplyDelete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!