December 2, 2017

Sloppy Joes


If you've been following this blog for the past few months, you know that my husband and I bought a travel trailer this summer and have had a lot of fun exploring the Pacific Northwest. Our trailer is outfitted with a large refrigerator, microwave and two-burner stove. We also have a toaster oven, portable grill and Coleman campstove, so there are plenty of cooking options when we're traveling. I love to cook, but cooking while camping is not how I choose to spend my time. I'd rather relax outside with a book or go for a hike or explore a new town. Cooking is a necessity, so I needed to find a solution to get me out of the "galley" while adding more options to our meals. Burgers, hot dogs and grilled chicken are fine every now and then, but would surely get old during a two-week trip.




Enter Make-Ahead-Meals.

When fixing dinner at home, I've recently begun to freeze half of a given recipe to take with us when we head out on a camping adventure. Soups, stroganoff, chili, Sloppy Joes, etc. I can't say that I remember ever having a Sloppy Joe until recently, but it tasted so good I decided to make a batch for our recent trip to Bandon. I froze enough of the recipe so we could have it for dinner one night and lunch later in the week. Served with chips, salad or fruit it worked out to be a nice alternative to a cheeseburger. And, the best part? Not only was I able to heat it up in a skillet in just a few minutes, but there were very few dishes involved. (Always a big plus when camping!)

Remember Hunt's Manwich? I can honestly say I've never tried one and I doubt I ever will. This Crock-Pot recipe for Sloppy Joes is so easy, I don't know why anyone would opt for a canned variety. I'm not sure if this recipe tastes like a Manwich, but it's certainly filling and yummy, especially after a day of exploring.


Manwich is the brand name of a canned sloppy joe sauce produced by ConAgra Foods and Hunt's, introduced in 1969. The can contains seasoned tomato sauce that is added to ground beef cooked in a skillet. It is marketed as a quick and easy one-pan meal for the whole family. Manwich's slogan is, "A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal." (Wikipedia)
Crock-Pot Sloppy Joes

Ingredients

1 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef
1 (16 oz.) package ground pork sausage
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 medium-sized green bell pepper, chopped (optional)
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
2 Tbsp. yellow mustard
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
8 hamburger buns, toasted

Brown beef and sausage with onion and bell pepper in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring 10 minutes or until beef and sausage crumble and are no longer pink. Drain well.

Place beef mixture in a 4 1/2 quart slow cooker. Stir in tomato sauce and next 9 ingredients. Cover and cook on HIGH for four hours.

Serve on hamburger buns.

Stove-Top Method

Proceed with recipe as directed in Step 1, returning drained beef mixture to Dutch oven. Stir in tomato sauce and next 8 ingredients, omitting flour. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.

Note:

To freeze leftover Sloppy Joe mixture, let cool completely. Place in zip-top plastic freezer bag; lay bags flat, and stack in freezer. Freeze up to 1 month. Thaw overnight in refrigerator or defrost in microwave.

My Notes:

I made this on the stove, rather than in a Crock-Pot. I think either method is fine, but since it's just ground beef and pork sausage, slow cooking isn't necessary for tenderizing the meat.

I don't care for green bell peppers, so I left those out and reduced the amount of chili powder to 1 teaspoon.

Please visit Beth Fish Reads for Weekend Cooking.
Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend.

18 comments:

  1. These look easy and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had sloppy Joes in a long time, but I bet my husband would be happy if I made them. I'm bookmarking this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Candace, my husband loves them. I think next time I may dress them up a bit with some fried onion strings.

      Delete
  3. Reminds me of the elementary school cafeteria a few million years ago. I think that was my most recent sloppy joe. Maybe I need to rethink.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae Travels, that's exactly what they remind me of, too. I don't even think I ate them back then!

      Delete
  4. Yum, now I'm craving Sloppy Joes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jama, I wouldn't want to eat them too often (I prefer a good cheeseburger!), but they're perfect for camping.

      Delete
  5. Lovely for a trip. Have a great week. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole, that they are. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Glad you found a way to manage your meals by bringing some from freezer- great idea and time saver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judee, it's all about making life more simple. Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment.

      Delete
  7. I really want a Sloppy Joe now! This would be perfect to freeze in small portions for my FIL's freezer, too. Adding to the meal plan this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, I'll bet your FIL would love them! As I mentioned to Candace, I think they'd be great with some fried onion strings on top, too. Mmmmmm. :)

      Delete
  8. I can almost smell them cooking. I put sausage with ground beef in chili but I never thought to do it with sloppy joes. I will from now on. We haven't had these in ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet, I goofed last time and just used ground pork. Definitely could tell something was lacking! :) I'll have to try the pork sausage in my chili. Sounds great!

      Delete
  9. Perfect for a camping trip, I think. It might be nice to try at home, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, they're perfect for camping and seem like a good winter meal, too. Enjoy!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!