January 11, 2018

Book Club Recommendations


Last month I asked my Facebook friends for recommendations for my book club, which is meeting next week to select the books we'll read this year. I was overwhelmed by the tremendous response, although I guess I shouldn't have been, as most of my friends and relatives share my enthusiasm for reading. But goodness, how to decide which to recommend! Here's the list of suggestions for your perusal. I wish I had the time to include the cover art images and links, but you all know how to use Google so I won't worry about it.


1. The Almost Sisters by Joshilyn Jackson

2. My Absolute Darling by Gabriel Tallent

3. If I Was Your Girl by Meredith Russo

4. The Song of Hartgrove Hall by Natasha Solomons (I loved The House at Tyneford, so this one gets my vote.)

5. Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate (After hearing so many good things about this book, I decided to buy a copy - in hardcover - which I never do!)

6. Necessary Lies by Diane Chamberlain

7. This Is How It Always Is by Laurie Frankel

8. Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng (recommended twice)

9. The Second Mrs. Hockaday by Susan Rivers

10. The Star Thief by Lindsey Becker

11. Origin by Dan Brown

12. The Son by Phillip Meyer

13. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas (just snagged a copy of this at the library)

14. The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin (you can read my review here)

15. Who Thought This Was a Good Idea? by Alyssa Mastromanaco

16. We Are All Shipwrecks by Kelly Grey Carlisle

17. White Teeth by Zadie Smith

18. Lincoln In the Bardo by George Saunders (two recommendations)

19. News of the World by Paulette Jiles (I read this last month and loved it)

20. Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan

21. The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane by Lisa See

22. The Day the World Came to Town by Jim DeFede

23. Heating and Cooling by Beth Ann Connelly

24. A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles (this was my #1 read in 2017)

25. The Chilbury Ladies' Choir by Jennifer Ryan

26. The Jane Austen Project by Kathleen Flynn

27. The Alice Network by Kate Quinn

28. Nuclear Family by Susanna Fogel

29. Sourdough by Robin Sloan

30. The Rook by Daniel O'Malley

31. Circling the Sun by Paula McLain

32. Swing Time by Zadie Smith

33. Born A Crime by Trevor Noah (I just posted my thoughts here)

34. Salem's Lot by Stephen King

35. 7 Habits of Highly Successful People by Stephen Covey

36. Pachinko by Min Jin Lee

37. The Trouble with Goats and Sheep by Joanna Louise Cannon

38. The Soul of an Octopus by Sy Montgomery

39. The Man He Would Become: How FDR Defied Polio to Win the Presidency by James Tobin

40. Roosevelt's Centurions by Joseph Persico

41. Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker

42. The Elephant Company by Vicki Croke

43. Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks

44. Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman (I loved this one!)

6 comments:

  1. I love it that 'Salem's Lot is in the middle of all these 'less horror-like' books. LOL

    My recommendation from this list is LITTLE FIRES EVERYWHERE, which I just finished. I liked it very much. The adoption storyline was really interesting, though the dilemma of different races for the adoptive parents and the child was not my personal experience. We do have the two nieces that were adopted from China. (Hope I'm not spoiling anything by talking about that.) That one and the King book are the only two I've already read. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, I've never read Salem's Lot. I'm not sure I can handle creepy Stephen King anymore. :)

      I'm definitely going to read Little Fires Everywhere. Not sure if my book club will go for it, but we'll see!

      Delete
  2. There are so many here I want to read! I put The Hate You Give on hold at my library but I think it may be a long wait. So are you selecting books for the whole year or just for a few months? You'll have to let us know which ones made the cut!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, there are a lot I want to read, too! I just started The Hate U Give and am only a couple of pages in, but I think I'm going to like it. Yes, we're picking for the entire year and not to worry. I'll post what we decide upon at the end of the month.

      Delete
  3. Oh heck - I had my book club's list all done for the year but there are several here that I may need to add!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, wouldn't you know it, I missed our meeting today! We decided to head up to Seattle for the weekend. I gave my suggestions to the group, but don't yet know what they chose. I'm really enjoying being in a book club again.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!