February 26, 2018

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?


I finished The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett and loved it so much that I think I'm going to have to buy a copy to have when I'm in the mood to read it again. It is such a good book!



My book club is reading The Soul of an Octopus for our March discussion and I'm enjoying it so far, although I'm only about 50 pages in. The author has a speaking engagement in the town just south of us in April, but unfortunately we'll be traveling and won't be home in time to attend.



I've been meaning to try the Neapolitan Series for a couple of years, but couldn't find My Brilliant Friend at the library so I decided to try the audio. I'm not very far and can't decide if I like the story or the characters, but I'll keep listening. I'm only on track/chapter 12 out of 83, so I have quite a ways to go. I am enjoying the reader (Hillary Huber) and love her Italian accent.



I loved Jane Harper's debut novel, The Dry and put this new one on hold at my library as soon as I heard about it. It didn't take too long to arrive and I've been reading it at night before bed. It's quite good, but I'm not sure it's as good as The Dry. We'll see how it evolves, but it isn't as suspenseful as Harper's first mystery. Still, it's well-written and entertaining and I haven't been able to figure out the mystery, so that's something, right?
It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? (#IMWAYR) is hosted by Kathryn at Book Date. It’s a place to meet up and share what you have been, are, and about to be reading over the week. It’s a great post to organize yourself. It’s an opportunity to visit and comment, and er… add to that ever-growing TBR pile! This meme started with J Kaye’s Blog and then was taken up by Sheila from Book Journey. Sheila then passed it on to Kathryn at Book Date.

Last Week's Posts: 


Wordless Wednesday - Oregon Lighthouse

The Mothers by Brit Bennett

Looking Back - Tell Me a Riddle by Tillie Olsen

Olympic Peninsula Trip - Port Townsend


18 comments:

  1. I'll be interested to see what you think of My Brilliant Friend in the end because I've heard such great things about Ferrante's work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy - So far, it hasn't wowed me, but we'll see how it goes the further along I get.

      Delete
  2. Good to know what your book group is reading. Soul of An Octopus looks interesting. I've thought about reading My Brilliant Friend, but I've just never picked it up. I'll watch for what you think. Will be interested in hearing what you think about Force of Nature. I agree that it is plotted a bit differently than The Dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay - I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying Soul of an Octopus! I'm learning a great deal and am eager to re-visit the Hatfield Marine Science Center in Newport. They have an octopus, but I never really paid much attention to it when I've visited in the past. I'll keep you posted on My Brilliant Friend. So far, it's just ok. Force of Nature is getting more suspenseful and I read late into the night last night. That is, until I started to get a little bit spooked. :)

      Delete
  3. Sharon7:02 AM

    I finished Dreaming in Chocolate by Susan Bishop Crispell. I did not enjoy it as much as her first book. She writes magical fiction (is that a genre?) but I don't think she is as talented as Sarah Addison Allen.
    This week I am reading The Atomic City Girls by Janet Beard. It has uneven reviews on Goodreads but I am halfway through and enjoying it. The author lives in Columbus, Ohio like me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon - I've never heard of Susan Bishop Crispell, but will look her up and see what she's written. I think the genre is magical realism, which I like in small doses. The Atomic City Girls sounds very good. I have it on my Audible wishlist for future listening. Have a good week!

      Delete
  4. I also have Force of Nature, and hope to read it soon. I've heard good things about My Brilliant Friend.

    Enjoy your week, and here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel-Rain Snow - I read a lot more of Force of Nature last night and it's getting much more suspenseful. Now to spend some time with My Brilliant Friend. Not yet hooked on that one. Have a great week.

      Delete
  5. What a great batch of books! I'm not quite sure if My Brilliant Friend is for me, but everyone seems to love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Candace - I'm still on the fence about My Brilliant Friend. I'll give it some more time today when I go for my walk. The rain has quit and the sun is shining, although it's cold (30s)!

      Delete
  6. I own My Brilliant Friend, but (you guessed it) haven't read it yet. I've heard such good things about this series. Sy M. lives in NH, did you know? I also own this book. She is passionate about these creatures. There was a very good show on the 1A show here: https://the1a.org/shows/2018-01-09/the-amazing-world-of-the-octopus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan - I wonder if My Brilliant Friend is one that we'll agree on! :) Thanks so much for the link to the octopus show! I'm eager to listen to it and have shared the link with my book club. Thank you!!

      Delete
  7. I would not have been able to do an audio of My Brilliant Friend. So many characters to keep track of that I'm glad I had a character list at the beginning of my copy. That said, I did like a lot but it was a bit different from what I expected. Mainly the characters were really not very nice. Anyway will love to hear what you think. Also looking forward to your review of the Octopus book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana - Good to know about the character list. I was beginning to feel overwhelmed with all the names! I'll try to post a review about the Octopus book after my book club meeting.

      Delete
  8. I’ve been meaning to read the Neapolitan series, too. I know it’s petty, but I hate those covers. That’s the only reason I haven’t read them yet.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AJ - I hate to say it, but I gave up on the Neapolitan book. I just couldn't get interested.

      Delete
  9. Fascinating that there's another book about consciousness and the octopus -- I read "Other Minds: The Octopus, the Sea, and the Deep Origins of Consciousness" by Peter Godfrey-Smith which was good too. And I loved the series by Elena Ferrante --good luck getting into it!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae - I'll have to search for the book you mention by Godfrey-Smith. Thanks so much for bringing it to my attention. Unfortunately, I gave up on the Ferrante book. Maybe I'll try it in print someday. The audio just wasn't working for me.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!