February 9, 2018

Looking Back - A Map of the World



Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.

A Map of the World by Jane Hamilton
Fiction
1992 Anchor
Finished in July 1997
Rating: 3/5 (Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

From the author of the widely acclaimed The Book of Ruth comes a harrowing, heartbreaking drama about a rural American family and a disastrous event that forever changes their lives.

The Goodwins, Howard, Alice, and their little girls, Emma and Claire, live on a dairy farm in Wisconsin. Although suspiciously regarded by their neighbors as "that hippie couple" because of their well-educated, urban background, Howard and Alice believe they have found a source of emotional strength in the farm, he tending the barn while Alice works as a nurse in the local elementary school. 

But their peaceful life is shattered one day when a neighbor's two-year-old daughter drowns in the Goodwins' pond while under Alice's care. Tormented by the accident, Alice descends even further into darkness when she is accused of sexually abusing of a student at the elementary school. Soon, Alice is arrested, incarcerated, and as good as convicted in the eyes of a suspicious community. As a child, Alice designed her own map of the world to find her bearings. Now, as an adult, she must find her way again, through a maze of lies, doubt and ill will.

A vivid human drama of guilt and betrayal, A Map of the World chronicles the intricate geographies of the human heart and all its mysterious, uncharted terrain. The result is a piercing drama about family bonds and a disappearing rural American life.

My Original Notes (1997):

At first I didn't think I'd like this book. It was too depressing. And it got worse before it got better. However, I became interested in the characters and wanted to know how they all turned out, in spite of all the tragedy around them. As a result, I couldn't put the book down and read at every opportunity. A gripping tale! Emotional themes. Not great, but not bad either.

My Current Thoughts:

I only have a vague recollection of this novel and it's not one I'd want to read again. 

4 comments:

  1. I vaguely remember this book, but I'm pretty sure I never read it. Likely won't at this point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, it may have been one that I heard about from the online group (books.com). Doesn't call out to me to read again!

      Delete
  2. I'm pretty sure I read this one but can't recall much of it. I probably have to look for my notes on this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, it's interesting how some books from that time period really stick with me and others don't. I guess that's just the way of books.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!