February 28, 2018

Looking Back - The Song of the Lark



Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.

The Song of the Lark by Willa Cather
Fiction
1983 Mariner Books (first published 1915)
Finished in August 1997
Rating: 4/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

Perhaps Willa Cather's most autobiographical work, The Song of the Lark charts the story of a young woman's awakening as an artist against the backdrop of the western landscape. Thea Kronborg, an aspiring singer, struggles to escape from the confines her small Colorado town to the world of possibility in the Metropolitan Opera House. In classic Cather style, The Song of the Lark is the beautiful, unforgettable story of American determination and its inextricable connection to the land.

My Original Notes (1997):

Another wonderful novel by Cather! Coming-of-age story of a Swedish-born immigrant girl who becomes a famous opera singer. Cather used lots of childhood memories and individuals for basis of story. Later chapters dealing with Thea's career are based on an actual opera singer blended with Cather's own artistic traits. Very good. I loved the scenes in New Mexico. A little too much detail, though, in regards to opera and a singer's career. I liked the first part of the novel better than the second half. I never felt completely connected to Thea as I did to Antonia (My Antonia).

My Current Thoughts:

I think it's time to read this one again!

2 comments:

  1. I'm loving this feature, Les. It's interesting to hear about what you were reading over 20 years ago and I'm so impressed that you actually have notes. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kay. I'm really am enjoying revisiting these old book journals of mine!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!