March 15, 2018

Homegoing


Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi
Fiction
2016 Alfred A. Knopf
Finished on July 5, 2017
Rating: 2/5 (Fair)

Publisher's Blurb:

A novel of breathtaking sweep and emotional power that traces three hundred years in Ghana and along the way also becomes a truly great American novel. Extraordinary for its exquisite language, its implacable sorrow, its soaring beauty, and for its monumental portrait of the forces that shape families and nations, Homegoing heralds the arrival of a major new voice in contemporary fiction.

Two half-sisters, Effia and Esi, are born into different villages in eighteenth-century Ghana. Effia is married off to an Englishman and lives in comfort in the palatial rooms of Cape Coast Castle. Unbeknownst to Effia, her sister, Esi, is imprisoned beneath her in the castle's dungeons, sold with thousands of others into the Gold Coast's booming slave trade, and shipped off to America, where her children and grandchildren will be raised in slavery. One thread of Homegoing follows Effia's descendants through centuries of warfare in Ghana, as the Fante and Asante nations wrestle with the slave trade and British colonization. The other thread follows Esi and her children into America. From the plantations of the South to the Civil War and the Great Migration, from the coal mines of Pratt City, Alabama, to the jazz clubs and dope houses of twentieth-century Harlem, right up through the present day, Homegoing makes history visceral, and captures, with singular and stunning immediacy, how the memory of captivity came to be inscribed in the soul of a nation.

Generation after generation, Yaa Gyasi's magisterial first novel sets the fate of the individual against the obliterating movements of time, delivering unforgettable characters whose lives were shaped by historical forces beyond their control. Homegoing is a tremendous reading experience, not to be missed, by an astonishingly gifted young writer.

I read Homegoing for my new book club here in Oregon and had I read it simply for my personal enjoyment, I don't think I would've finished (or even read past page 50). The structure of the book deals with two branches of one family for a total of seven generations. Each chapter reads like a short story and while they are all loosely connected, there is no sense of cohesiveness when one reaches the final page. There were a few chapters that I enjoyed more than others and I found myself wishing for more time with those characters, but they disappeared once their chapter concluded. Maybe this would be a good book to read in a literature class, but I was confused about who was who and how they were related to the people in previous chapters. 

The members of my book group were somewhat divided about their reaction to the book and although we had a decent discussion, there were a few who didn't chime in and I wonder if they even read the book. One member said she read one side of the family's story first, then went back and read the other side's story. She said it was less confusing that way.

Homegoing was less than satisfying, but I am in the minority as it has received numerous awards and was a favorite with a lot of my blogging friends.

American Book Award (2017), PEN/Robert W. Bingham Prize Nominee for Shortlist (2017), Audie Award for Literary Fiction & Classics (2017), Dylan Thomas Prize Nominee for Longlist (2017), National Book Critics Circle Award for John Leonard Prize (2016), The Center for Fiction First Novel Prize Nominee for Shortlist (2016), Andrew Carnegie Medal Nominee for Fiction (2017), Goodreads Choice Award Nominee for Historical Fiction (2016), Alabama Author Award - Fiction (2017).

8 comments:

  1. Sometimes books like this generate great discussion in book groups, but sometimes not. I always make sure everyone knows that they are not 'required' to finish a book in order to comment. I'm sure your group understands that too. I say it out loud though so that if we have new members, they won't hesitate to share their experience. Of course, then there was the night we read Louise Penny's latest (can't even remember the book right now - a couple earlier than the latest now). Anyway, lots of Penny fans in the group and everyone was enthusing over this or that. We had a new-ish member who had not tried the series and who jumped in at that book. She hated it and said so. I thought I was going to have to break up a fight. Ha! I did mention to her that it would have been tough to come in at this point - in the middle of the story not knowing anything about the characters. She, however, to this day, maintains that Penny is highly overrated. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, that's good advice to remind members that they don't have to finish the book to take part in the discussions. I'll mention it at our next meeting. Too funny about the Louise Penny dissenter! :)

      Delete
  2. I think the lack of cohesiveness would bother me so I'll probably skip this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I'm sure there are a lot of readers who didn't mind the lack of cohesiveness, but it certainly bothered me!

      Delete
  3. When I first heard of this one I was really excited but then I found out about the format and I'm not sure if I'll love it as much as others either. I have it on my shelf and one of these days I'll get to it I hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, maybe if you read it the way one of the book club members did (one side of the family first, then the other side, rather than from cover to cover), it might be more enjoyable (and understandable!).

      Delete
  4. Sorry you didn't enjoy this one more. I read it twice (once for my book group) and really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, maybe if I read it a second time, I would have a deeper understanding of the plot! Good for you to read it twice!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!