June 5, 2018

A Month in Summary - May 2018

Nehalem, Oregon
May 2018

What a fun-filled month! We started off by celebrating Rod's birthday with good friends and my mom, followed by two surprise birthday gatherings for my mom (who turned 85 this year!). My three brothers and one sister-in-law joined us at the Oregon Garden Resort to help with that milestone celebration. We all had a great time! Later that week, Rod & I took our new motorhome out for a five day shake-down "cruise." We boondocked at the Blue Heron in Tillamook on the first night, after a delicious lunch with blogmate Juli (of Whimpulsive) and Jeb at the Oar House in Pacific City. The next three nights were spent at the Nehalem Bay State Park, which is nestled in between the Nehalem Bay and the Pacific Ocean, just south of Manzanita. After our return, I joined a group of women from our neighborhood for a luncheon and behind-the-scenes tour at the Oregon Coast Aquarium. I didn't get to touch an octopus, but it was still a great experience. Rod & I helped with our neighborhood cove clean-up again this year, but it wasn't nearly as involved as last year since the winter storms didn't bring in as many logs and debris as in years past. We took my mom out to one of our favorite restaurants to celebrate our one-year anniversary here in Little Whale Cove and finished off the month with a great visit from my brother, sister-in-law and their two daughters from Lincoln. Phew! It's no wonder I didn't read very many book, work on any puzzles or watch much in the way of movies or TV series. And as I type, we're getting everything organized for another road trip with the motorhome. We leave on Tuesday for two weeks down the Oregon coast. Nope, we never get tired of exploring this beautiful area!

Books read in May: 

Every Note Played by Lisa Genova

The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah

I'll Be Your Blue Sky by Marisa de los Santos

First Lines:

Richard is playing the second movement of Schumann's Fantasie in C Major, op. 17, the final piece of his solo recital at the Adrienne Arsht Center in Miami. The concert hall is sold-out, yet the energy here doesn't feel full. This venue doesn't carry the prestige or intimidating pressure of Lincoln Center or the Royal Albert Hall. Maybe that's it. This recital is no big deal. (Every Note Played)

That spring, rain fell in great sweeping gusts that rattled the rooftops. Water found its way into the smallest cracks and undermined the sturdiest foundations. Chunks of land that had been steady for generations fell like slag heaps on the roads below, taking houses and cars and swimming pools down with them. Trees fell over, crashed into power lines; electricity was lost. Rivers flooded their banks, washed across yards, ruined homes. People who loved each other snapped and fights erupted as the water rose and the rain continued. (The Great Alone)

It was what she would remember always: how the second she stepped inside, before she'd so much as taken her first full breath of new air, she was struck by the feeling--the understanding, the certainty--however improbable, that the house was Joseph. Not merely that it felt like something he would choose or that she saw his handiwork everywhere--fresh paint, thick as cream; refinished pine floors; green apples in a glass bowl--but that it was him, sturdy and open, light swooping in through every window, forthright and decent and kind. She would not have supposed that a house could be kind, but this one was. (I'll Be Your Blue Sky)

Movies & TV Series:


The Bridge - We are almost finished with Season Two, which is good, but not nearly as intense as the first season. 


The Age of Adaline - I thought this was a sweet, enjoyable movie, although at times, fairly predictable. 



Death in Paradise - I've given up on this silly series, but Rod is still hooked. 


Book Club - I saw this new movie with a couple of friends from my book club and we all thought it was highly entertaining. I don't care much for Jane Fonda, but Diane Keaton and Andy Garcia were wonderful and had great chemistry. I haven't laughed so much in a long time!

Outings & Trips:


Surprise!!




We had such a great time surprising and celebrating my mom's 85th birthday. The Oregon Garden Resort is a lovely place for all sorts of celebrations. We stayed overnight and enjoyed catching up over drinks and appetizers before dining in the restaurant, which overlooks the gardens. After breakfast the following day, we wandered around the grounds admiring the gorgeous flowers.



After we checked out of the resort, we drove over to the Gallon House Covered Bridge in Silverton. It's one of the oldest covered bridges in Oregon.



After seeing the bridge, we drove to the Wooden Shoe Tulip Farm in nearby Woodburn. We just missed their annual festival, but the tulips were still beautiful and we enjoyed wandering around the beds, admiring all the different colors and varieties.













I have visited the Oregon Coast Aquarium on more than one occasion, but it was quite an experience getting a behind-the-scenes tour.


















It was great to spend some time with Chris, Jen, Maddie and Emily. The weather cooperated and we had fun hiking Drift Creek Falls and exploring the tidepools at Moolack Beach.

I have a lot more pictures from all of these events, but I'll save the rest for separate posts. Thanks for reading this far! 

In Memorium:



2.17.81 - 5.28.05



14 comments:

  1. I can't believe you've been there a month already. You sure did have a fun filled month. I saw Book Club with a friend today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I'm assuming you meant a year and not a month. :) Yes, the year flew and it feels like home. Did you enjoy The Book Club? I rarely go to the theater (preferring to watch dvds or stream at home), but this was a fun one to see with friends.

      Delete
  2. Hugs to you Les. I know those anniversaries are tough. All the photos are wonderful and it's so great that you've had time with family and friends and of course around nature! Definitely good for the soul. Oh and I'm waiting for the last season of The Bridge. I just love Saga!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, Iliana. We get through these tough anniversaries as best as we can, and with each passing year, they get a little bit easier, but the ache of loss is still there. Yes, being surrounded by friends, family and nature are all very good for the soul! I am really enjoying The Bridge and like you, I love Saga! What a complex character! I can't remember if you've mentioned whether or not you seen the British version of the series (The Tunnel). We plan to eventually watch it.

      Delete
  3. Your pictures were so wonderful! Can't believe how old those nieces are! I remember...a lot of things. Always think of Rachel around Memorial Day. My Mom's time as well. Sigh. Those pictures of the tulips and the aquarium - wow! And I still like Death in Paradise. We'll be watching the new season. Thanks for sharing it all with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, glad you enjoyed the pictures. Yes, the girls are growing up! Time flies. Thanks for your kind words about Rachel. A loss around Memorial Day makes for a tough holiday weekend, doesn't it? I'll have to tell Rod that you are a fan of Death in Paradise. Mom and I give him a hard time about it. :) I was disappointed when most of the original cast left the show. And now I hear there's another turnover with the second set!

      Delete
  4. What beautiful pictures Les and, so many memories made as well.

    How did you like the Lisa Genova book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, thanks so much. It was a fun month! I really liked the Genova book. Not as much as Still Alice, but it was close.

      Delete
  5. Food, family, a bit of reading, camping, streaming video ... your life looks very idyllic!
    I hope you continue to enjoy good things.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, we are enjoying life to its fullest, that's for certain!

      Delete
  6. Sharon10:35 AM

    Look like you had a great May!
    Funny you posted pictures of an aquarium visit. We spent the day in Cincinnati at the Newport Aquarium in Kentucky just across the bridge over the Ohio River.
    We still watch Death in Paradise as well as Father Brown. I get a lot of stitching done while they are on :) I look at them as comfort food. We've finished The Detectorists on Acorn TV and now are hooked on 800 Words.
    I'll Be Your Blue Sky was one of my favorite books of the year so far.
    Here's hoping for a terrific June!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, it was certainly fun, if not busy! As I mentioned to Kay, I stopped watching Death in Paradise when most of the original cast left the show. I haven't watched Father Brown, but it's on my list. Now to had The Detectorists and 800 Words! We are never without a show to watch. :) I loved Marisa de los Santos' early books, but didn't care as much for her more recent releases. I'll Be Your Blue Sky was delightful and had the same feel as her older titles. I want to reread the other two in this trilogy since I've forgotten so much about them. Thanks so much for stopping by with your wonderful comments!

      Delete
  7. I can see why you would never tire of exploring your beautiful area; everything I have seen from your photographs here and on social media astounds me. We are the girls who love nature, that is for certain. And, books! I picked up Every Note Played at the library yesterday, but laid it down again uncertain if I could do heartbreaking right now. Sometime, in the future I hope to read it, as I’ve enjoyed the author so much before. All the parties and gatherings and meet-ups with blogging friends seem like so much fun! I love the festivities going on in your life. Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meredith, we do love our nature, don't we? I could spend the rest of my life exploring the PNW and never grow weary of all its beauty. Mountains, ocean, lakes and rivers. What more could I want? Ah, Every Note Played is another heartbreaking tale by Lisa Genova, but I still managed to "enjoy" it and have a better understanding of the progression of ALS. What an awful, awful disease! As far as meet-ups with blogging friends, I still plan to come see you someday. :)

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!