July 10, 2018

The Breakdown



The Breakdown by B. A. Paris
Thriller
2017 MacMillan Audio
Read by Georgia Maguire
Finished on December 6, 2017
Rating: 3/5 (Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

On a rainy night, Cass takes the shortcut home through the woods, even though her husband has warned that it could be dangerous. With just minutes left until she's at their house, she sees a car stopped on the side of the road with a woman sitting alone inside. Has the car broken-down? Does she need help? Cass waits for a moment, but as the rain crashes down, she soon continues on.

When the news reports the next morning that a woman was killed in the woods, Cass can't stop thinking about it. Pained by guilt, she has been forgetting everything: where she left the car, if she took her pills, the alarm code to the house. What she can't forget is the woman she might have saved... and that maybe the killer saw her. Then the silent phone calls start, and the feeling that someone is watching her...

I started reading this in print and was so annoyed with the mediocre writing, I quickly set it aside. Since I loved listening to the author's debut thriller (Behind Closed Doors), I decided to try this one on audio, as well. I was instantly hooked. Maguire is an excellent reader, which helped keep me interested in this predictable psychological thriller. Overall, I enjoyed the book but it wasn't nearly as good as Behind Closed Doors. I'm not sure I'll bother with her latest release (Bring Me Back) unless I start hearing rave reviews. 

6 comments:

  1. I agree with you and I'm sad to say I think Bring Me Back was even weaker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dear. She and Ruth Ware had great debuts, but nothing has lived up to either of those. Thanks for letting me know, Kathy.

      Delete
  2. I just finished Bring Me Back and I'm sorry to say it was repetitive and had a head-shaker of an ending. I literally closed it with the words, "I don't buy that." I'll have to read Behind Closed Doors, but I doubt beyond that I'll give her another chance unless I see raves about a future title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if you'll like Behind Closed Doors. It had mixed reviews, but I loved the audio. It kept me on the edge of my seat from cover to cover!

      Delete
  3. My book club read Behind Closed Doors and everyone except one person really disliked it. But I already had this one so I read it. Paris is not a great writer but this one seemed more plausible to me and I did get hooked and couldn't put it down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I have to agree. Paris isn't a great writer, but the audio of Behind Closed Doors held my interest from start to finish. Not sure I would have enjoyed it nearly as much if I had read the print copy.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!