September 8, 2018

Depoe Bay to Diamond Lake, OR

Tuesday, September 4, 2018
Depoe Bay to Diamond Lake, Oregon
Distance: 234 miles
Campground: Diamond Lake RV Park
Cost per Night: $34
Site #A8
Duration: 2 nights
Weather: Sunny and upper 70s with some smoke



After months of research and planning, we are finally on our way to Texas! We left Depoe Bay shortly after 10:00 and after topping off the gas tank in Newport, we headed out I20 to Corvalis. We had a beautiful drive with no problems and once we reached I5, we headed south to Eugene. The sun was shining, which always makes for a nice day of driving. We drove on OR58, stopping for a picnic lunch at the Dexter Reservoir, where I spotted either an eagle or an osprey and hopefully got a couple of good shots with the Olympus. (I'll have to add those later, since I left my cable at home!)


Looking west


Lowell Covered Bridge is the widest covered bridge in Oregon and is now used as an interpretive center, rather than one which can be driven through. I've only seen 2 covered bridges in Oregon and I believe there are 56.




Looking east


We pretty much had the place to ourselves.


There's just a little bit of snow remaining on Diamond Peak (8,744').




The sky became very smoky (from the Miles forest fire) as we drove along the Willamette Highway, causing our eyes to burn and our lungs to feel wheezy. Once we got over the pass, the sky cleared and we no longer smelled any smoke.


We arrived at the Diamond Lake RV Park around 4:00 and got checked in and all set up without any problems. The sites in our loop were fairly close together with very little privacy in the way of trees or shrubbery, but we met our neighbors (a very nice couple from Alaska who are just starting out as full-timers) and enjoyed getting to know them over drinks after dinner.




We knew we wouldn't have a view of the lake from our campground, but it was an easy walk down the road, which we did after dinner. We caught the last glimpse of a sunset over Mt. Bailey (8,363').




The cell service for Verizon, AT&T and Sprint was pretty much nil at the campsite, but we were able to get a couple of bars down by the lake, so we could send out a couple of short emails. All in all, it was a great day!

Click on photos for a larger view.

8 comments:

  1. So, you going to do this 'live' sorta? Very nice. Great pictures. Will look forward to following your progress across the Southwest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, I'm going to attempt to! If I don't, it will be another year before I write about it! I still have several trips from earlier this year to write up. :) Thanks for encouraging me. Much appreciated!

      Delete
  2. These pictures are so pretty. I'm glad you are enjoying your travel time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Diane. We're have a wonderful time, although it's pretty hot tonight. We're in Sparks, Nevada and I'm thankful we don't live here! They do have an In-N-Out Burger, though...

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy! It was pretty windy today on 395, but we survived. :)

      Delete
  4. What a lovely first day! It’s going to be fun traveling “with” you as I enjoy these posts. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, it was one of our longer days of driving, but so beautiful that the time flew (unlike our past two days of desert driving!). I'm glad you're enjoying these posts. I can't upload pictures at our current site, so no new updates for a few more days.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!