October 6, 2018

A Month in Summary - September 2018

The Grand Canyon, Arizona
September 2018

What can I say? This has been such an amazing month! If you're still reading my blog, I hope you aren't too disappointed that there have been very little in the way of book reviews in the past few months. Other than a couple of "Looking Back" entries, the majority of posts have been travel-related. And October won't be much different. I only finished one book in September and I doubt I'll read much more this month. I'm really enjoying our two-month-long road trip and spend the majority of "down time" editing photos and composing travel updates to share with family and friends. So, what did I read in September? A wonderful collection of essays by one of my favorite authors, Kelly Corrigan. I need to pack more of this sort of book for future trips, as it's easy to pick up and read in fits and spurts. Maybe some short stories, too.

Books Read in September:

Tell Me More: Stories About the 12 Hardest Things I'm Learning to Say by Kelly Corrigan

First Lines:

A lot has happened since the last time I had a book to dedicate.

I've been to two funerals: my father's, which was kind of fantastic, and my friend Liz's, which was devastating. I left those services, as most people probably did, urgently wanting to deserve my life and the people in it. 

This book is about the things we say to people we love (including ourselves) that make things better.

It is for Liz, who I think would have appreciated the effort. I wish we could have done this together, Lizzard, though in a way, we sort of did. (Tell Me More)

Movies & TV Series:



Deadpool 2 - I thought the original Deadpool was great (I love a movie that makes me laugh out loud), but I didn't expect to enjoy this follow-up as much as I did. It wasn't great, but I was entertained. I enjoyed all the humorous asides and in-jokes that are directed to the audience.



Jurrasic World: Fallen Kingdom - Well... it was better than the some of the previous films in this series, but none are as good as the original Jurassic Park (which was released 25 years ago!).



Avengers: Infinity War - In a word, fun! I love the Avengers movies.

Outings & Trips:

Ha! We're still on it! Two-month road trip from Oregon to Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, and California. We're visiting National Parks and Monuments, State Parks, as well as friends & family. I've shot thousands of photos, which will take months to cull, but I've shared several posts about our recent travels, so click here to read more.

We're currently in New Mexico (City of Rocks State Park) where it's still pretty warm and sunny. Tomorrow we head west to Arizona. Hope you all are enjoying cooler temps now that autumn has arrived. 

Click on images for larger view.

8 comments:

  1. You've certainly had an emotional month too. I'm so sorry about your dad. I'm so glad you guys are enjoying the beauty of state parks and all other things you've seen on your drive. Thank you so much for sharing so many pictures. I love seeing them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, thanks you for the kinds words about my dad. It's been a very emotional month but we're optimistic and looking forward to spending time with him after our trip.

      We are seeing so much beauty in our travels. Right now we are in the City of Rocks (Faywood, New Mexico) and the landscape is breathtaking. We are both surprised that we are enjoying this unique area as much as we are. It's on our list for return visits!

      Delete
  2. I don't get much read when I travel, either, so I totally get it. I'm glad your trip has been so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, it's been a great trip! We still have three weeks of fun and adventure!

      Delete
  3. I'm loving travelling with you two virtually. Gorgeous pictures! And I love the Avengers movies too. I wasn't as happy with Deadpool, so we didn't see DP#2. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kay! Wasn't this last Avenger movie fun?! Yes, Deadpool isn't for everyone, is it? :)

      Delete
  4. It's so fun to travel along with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're enjoying our travels, Lisa! :)

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!