October 19, 2018

Grand Canyon, AZ

Sunday, September 16, 2018
Grand Canyon, Arizona
Campground: Forest Road 310
Cost per Night: Free (boondocking)
Duration: 1 night
Weather: Sunny and warm

I woke up at 5 a.m., made my coffee and walked over to Desert View to watch the sunrise. I was so surprised that there was only one other person at the point when I arrived, but by the time the sun came up, there were about eight of us. We all spoke in hushed whispers, enjoying the serenity of the morning, watching as the soft colors began to appear on the canyon walls. What an experience!


Patiently waiting for the sunrise.


Dawn's early light.


Peacefully quiet.


Here it comes.








Looking north.


Looking northwest.








It gets prettier with each passing moment.

I walked back to the RV and helped Rod get everything secure and ready to head out. We made our way over to the Grand Canyon Village, stopping a few times at some of the lookouts. We spotted a dozen or so deer at the first stop and I'm hoping I got some good pictures with the Olympus.






Mary Colter's Desert View Watchtower in the distance.











We parked the RV and walked over to the El Tovar Hotel for breakfast. The lodge opened in 1905 and was one of a chain of hotels and restaurants owned and operated by the Fred Harvey Company, in conjunction with the Santa Fe Railway. It's a very elegant hotel and is considered the crown jewel of Historic National Park Lodges. I would agree! The interior is beautiful and the views from the dining rooms are breathtaking. 


The view of the Grand Canyon from our table in the El Tovar Hotel.


Chicken Fried Steak for Rod.


Southwest Breakfast Quesadilla for me.



I thought we were going to walk back to the hotel after exploring the rim, but we went a different way so I didn't get a picture of the exterior. It's a beautiful combination of a Swiss chalet and a Norwegian villa. Definitely worth a visit, if you're in the area! I would love to go back and have drinks on the patio as the sun is setting. Next time!

Click on images for a larger view.

6 comments:

  1. You've added a couple more items to my list of reasons to return to the Grand Canyon!! Stunning photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, JoAnn! I was a little worried that I shared too many pictures, but this blog also acts as my online photo album and I couldn't delete anymore. You should see how many wound up in my trash. :) Yes, you guys need to return. Maybe we can plan to meet there someday. I know we'll be going back in the next few years. I'd love to spend a week there.

      Delete
  2. Wow and wow and wow! Thanks for sharing all these great pictures with us. You're our personal tour guides!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, thanks Kay! I hope I'm not posting too many of the same views. I just love the way the canyon changes with each vantage point and the time of day. Glad you're enjoying the tour! :)

      Delete
  3. What great captures; love your travel pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane. We had a great time at the Canyon!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!