January 19, 2019

A Dying Fall



A Dying Fall (Ruth Galloway #5) by Elly Griffiths
Mystery
2013 Quercus
Read by Clare Corbett
Finished on December 26, 2018
Rating: 3/5 (Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

When Ruth Galloway learns that her old university friend Dan Golding has died in a house fire, she is shocked and saddened. But when she receives a letter that Dan had written just before he died, her sadness turns to suspicion.

The letter tells of a great archaeological discovery, but Dan also says that he is scared for his life. Was Dan’s death linked to his find? The only clue is his mention of the Raven King, an ancient name for King Arthur.

When she arrives in Lancashire, Ruth discovers that the bones reveal a shocking fact about King Arthur—and that the bones have mysteriously vanished. The case draws in DCI Nelson, determined to protect Ruth and their eighteen-month-old daughter, Kate. But someone is willing to kill to keep the bones a secret, and it is beginning to look as if no one is safe.

It may be time to start reading this series in print rather than listening to the audios. I usually enjoy the audiobooks in this series, but my mind tends to wander and I don't feel as immersed in the mystery as I might, if I were reading the print edition. I was also disappointed that Jane McDowell was not the reader for this installment, as I've enjoyed her narration in the four previous books in the Ruth Galloway series. I've said it before, so forgive me for sounding like a broken record, but the characters and their relationships are what keep me coming back to Griffiths' books. A Dying Fall had a lot of tension toward the end and I found that I was holding my breath, but thankfully, all ended well.

8 comments:

  1. I hate it when the narrator that I've loved changes in the middle of series. Hate it. Not sure why they do that, but they didn't ask me! Ha! Yes, I love getting connected with characters in a series and that is often what brings me back over and over. As we both know, when an author has a long series, some books seems better than others. However, the characters are the strands that tie everything together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, it's funny how as soon as I started listeing, I immediately knew that the reader for this series had changed. I got used to her voice, but it still wasn't the same. Yes, the characters are the strands that tie everything together. I love the way you phrased this!

      Delete
  2. Everyone seems to love Ruth. If, and when, I try this series, I think I'll go with print.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, she's such a likeable character!

      Delete
  3. This is such a great series! I read the first one on my Kindle, but listened to the second one on audiobook. They were both great! I've got a couple of books to finish up and then I'm going to start on the third volume!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, I still have several to read, but plan to spread them out a bit. Glad you're enjoying them, too!

      Delete
  4. I was a bit upset with the latest book because Nelson really got on my nerves but on the whole I just can't stop wanting more in this series. I just enjoy the characters so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, I have a love-hate relationship with Nelson. I'm taking a break from this series for a little bit and hopefully, we'll enjoy it more once I resume with the print editions.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!