January 15, 2019

The Other Einstein



The Other Einstein by Marie Benedict
Fiction
2016 Sourcebooks Landmark
Finished on December 4, 2018
Rating: 4/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

In the tradition of The Paris Wife and Mrs. Poe, The Other Einstein offers us a window into a brilliant, fascinating woman whose light was lost in Einstein's enormous shadow. It is the story of Einstein's wife, a brilliant physicist in her own right, whose contribution to the special theory of relativity is hotly debated and may have been inspired by her own profound and very personal insight.

Mitza Maric has always been a little different from other girls. Most twenty-year-olds are wives by now, not studying physics at an elite Zurich university with only male students trying to outdo her clever calculations. But Mitza is smart enough to know that, for her, math is an easier path than marriage. And then fellow student Albert Einstein takes an interest in her, and the world turns sideways. Theirs becomes a partnership of the mind and of the heart, but there might not be room for more than one genius in a marriage.

I really enjoyed this compelling novel about Albert Einstein's first wife, Mitza Maric, and her contribution to his scientific theories. As with most historical fiction, I found myself wanting to learn more about this brilliant woman and her life with Einstein. As I read, I became angry with Mitza's situation and with Albert's cruel and selfish behavior toward his wife. My book club chose this novel and we had a long and lively discussion. I think almost everyone liked the book, but several were very annoyed with Mitza for putting up with Einstein for as long as she did. I like the author's writing style and am eager to try her previous novel, Carnegie's Maid and her new upcoming release in January, The Only Woman in the Room.

10 comments:

  1. My mother read this and liked it a lot too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like an interesting book. Hadn't considered reading it before, but I just might give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, it really was! I hadn't considered it until it was chosen by my book group. I'm really glad I got the chance to read it and am anxious to read her others.

      Delete
  3. I think I'd probably enjoy this one as well. So interesting to hear the stories of how women in the background have contributed to so many things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, this is seriously a great novel! I'm so glad my book group chose it and that the author has more for me to read. Yay!

      Delete
  4. I liked Carnegie's Maid and I was signed up to meet her tonight at a local library, but my husband ended up at urgent care instead (he's okay). I'm sorry I missed the chance to hear her speak!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy, I'm glad to hear that your husband is ok! I'm also pleased to know that you enjoyed Carnegie's Maid. She would be a fascinating author to hear speak. Maybe you'll get another opportunity!

      Delete
  5. I put all three of these books on hold at my library a couple of weeks ago. Glad to know you liked her writing style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel, I'm eager to read the other two. I recently put some books on hold at the library and they're all ready for pick up today. Between those and the three I already checked out, I'm going to have to have a reading marathon to get them finished before they're due back!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!