February 3, 2019

Teriyaki Sirloin Steaks

My husband is your typical meat-and-potatoes guy. Quinoa and kale are not in his vocabulary and while he'll eat salmon and shrimp, it's not his first choice. If he were in charge of the meal planning and cooking, he would eat red meat, if not every day, at least 2-3 times a week. Don't get me wrong. I love meat, too, but in an attempt to serve more healthy meals, I try to limit our consumption of beef to once, maybe twice, a week. We love hamburgers, tacos (with shredded or ground beef), stew, stroganoff, spaghetti & meatballs, meatloaf and, of course, steak. But that steak has to be a good cut, with plenty of marbled fat to help keep it tender. I will occasionally grill a flank steak, but it's not my favorite. Rod and I both love a juicy ribeye, which is a little more flavorful than a tenderloin and just a bit more tender than a New York strip. So when we're at Costco, we stock up on ribeyes. If you've never purchased steaks at Costco, you're missing out. I overheard a shopper complaining about how expensive one package of ribeyes cost (somewhere around $42), but that breaks down to just a little over $10 per steak. I don't know about you, but I've never had a decent steak in a restaurant for that price! But back to this recipe. I'm not sure if I've ever purchased a sirloin steak, but when I saw this recipe in a Weber cookbook, I figured it would be just as good with ribeyes. I was right. My only complaint is that we didn't grill an extra steak. The leftovers would be perfect for lunch in a salad or sandwich. Serve these steaks with a side of risotto shrimp and you've got yourself an elegant meal. Yum!

Teriyaki Sirloin Steaks
(Photo Credit: weber.com)

Ingredients

1/2 cup pineapple juice
1/4 cup tamari or reduced-sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp. dry sherry
1/4 cup water
1/8 tsp. ground ginger
Garlic salt
4 top sirloin steaks (each 8-10 oz. and about 1 1/2 inches thick)
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

In a small saucepan, combine the pineapple juice, tamari/soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, 1/4 cup water, sherry ginger and garlic salt to taste. Place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 10-12 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool completely. You should have about 1 cup of sauce. 

*The sauce can be made up to 1 week in advance and refrigerated. 

Set aside (and refrigerate) 1/4 cup of the teriyaki sauce. Place the steaks in a large lock-top plastic bag and pour the remaining sauce into the bag. Seal the bag, squish the sauce around the steaks and refrigerate overnight.

At least 30 minutes before grilling, remove the steaks from the refrigerator. Discard the sauce and pat the steaks dry with paper towels. Season both sides of the steaks with salt & pepper.

Remove the reserved 1/4 cup of teriyaki sauce from the refrigerator and bring to room temperature.

Preheat the grill for direct grilling over high heat. Brush and oil the grill grate.

Place the steaks on the grill directly over the fire and cook for 3 minutes. Turn and cook for another 3 minutes. Turn again and cook for 5 minutes more for medium-rare or until an instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into the center of a steak registers 135 degrees (F). 

Transfer the steaks to a cutting board and allow them to rest for 5-10 minutes. Slice against the grain, arrange on a platter, and serve at once. Pass the reserved teriyaki sauce at the table.

My Notes:

We used boneless rib-eye steaks, which were delicious and tender. I think any cut of beef would work just fine.

The original recipe doesn't indicate whether to grill with the grill lid open or closed. We always grill with ours closed. Our steaks were perfectly cooked to medium-rare.

This marinade would be delicious with chicken, shrimp or pork. It's super easy to prepare and very flavorful.

Original recipe from Weber



Please visit Beth Fish Reads for Weekend Cooking.

Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Kathy, it was! I'm going to try it this week with chicken.

      Delete
  2. We don't eat read meat but it does look delicious. I love burgers but even those I only eat about once or twice a month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, it's hard to give up a good burger. I can probably go a month or longer without steak, but not cheeseburgers.

      Delete
  3. I'm with you 100% on the value of Costco meats! Their lamb chops are also very good and cost-effective.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, thanks for telling me about the lamb chops. I don't care for lamb, but my husband loves it. I'll have to get some chops next time we go to Costco.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!