April 26, 2019

Looking Back - Patty Jane's House of Curl

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.



Patty Jane's House of Curl by Lorna Landvik
Fiction
1995 Ivy Books
Finished in June 1998
Rating: 4/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

Patty Jane Dobbin should have known better than to marry a man as gorgeous as Thor Rolvaag, but she was too smitten to think twice. Yet nine months into their marriage, with a baby on the way, Thor is gone. It’s a good thing Patty Jane has her irrepressible sister, Harriet, to rely on. For it’s been said that a fine haircut can cure any number of ills, and before long the Minnesota sisters have opened a neighborhood beauty parlor complete with live harp music and an endless supply of delicious Norwegian baked goods. It’s a wonderful, warmhearted place where you can count on good friends, lots of laughter, tears, and comfort when you need it—and the unmistakable scent of somebody getting a permanent wave. . . .

My Original Notes (1998):

Pretty good! Reminded me of Fried Green Tomatoes and Steel Magnolias. Funny & sad. Brought me to tears toward the end. Loved the epilogue. I'm ready to read more by Landvik!

My Current Thoughts:

I met the author in 1998 at a small book event in Cleveland. She was very personable and quite funny. Apparently, she had done some stand-up comedy in the past, which was pretty apparent as she talked to us about her life and her novel. I did go on to read more by her, but I haven't read this one a second time. Might need to make time to do so.

4 comments:

  1. I remember this one. My husband is Norwegian, so I picked it out because of that connection. I should look for this one day. I remember it being a light but thoughtful read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I'm currently traveling, so I can't check my shelves, but I think I still have a copy of this. It will be fun to reread it after all these years. I also have Angry Housewives Eating Bonbons, which is also a fun read about a book club.

      Delete
  2. I have a memory from this book, at least I think it is! They always had good coffee no matter how little money they had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan, I don't remember that, but if I re-read the book, I'll be sure to look for some mention of it! :)

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!